• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Solved Explorer Towing Capacities

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
This is your max towing capacity. Meaning all cargo, passengers and weight of trailer and contents included. Don't think you can load up with stuff in the truck and still tow this amount of weight on a trailer!

Attachments

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
Explorer Towing Capacites

This is your max towing capacity. Meaning all cargo, passengers and weight of trailer and contents included. Don't think you can load up with stuff in the truck and still tow this amount of weight on a trailer!

Attachments

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
1999 Explorer Towing Capacites

Attachments

Last edited:

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
2000 Explorer Towing Capacites

Attachments

Last edited:

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
2001 Explorer Towing Capacites

Attachments

cloaked_chaos

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 Limited
Does anyone have these charts for first gen explorers?

prestonl

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, Utah
does this include the vehicle weight? or just payload weight?

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
does this include the vehicle weight? or just payload weight?
This is the payload weight- it does not include the weight of your vehicle, that would be the gross combined vehicle weight.

prestonl

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, Utah
I hope these numbers are similar to a 2004 ford explorer sport trac adrenalin package.

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
I hope these numbers are similar to a 2004 ford explorer sport trac adrenalin package.
They should be close, pay attention to gear ratios especially. I'd recommend that you check your owners manual before you proceed.

5starfamily

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eddie bauer
I see that you have made this chart as simple as possible to follow, but please forgive me!
My husband drives a 4 door 1999 Ford Explorer (Eddie Bauer if that makes any difference) and we currently tow a Coleman PUP. I would really enjoy getting a travel trailer but of course safety comes first. We are looking at a 1999 prowler - 26 feet, the listed weight is 4270. Is this pushing it? We just put in a new transmission this spring and it does have a cooler. Any advice will be gladly accepted!

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
I see that you have made this chart as simple as possible to follow, but please forgive me!
My husband drives a 4 door 1999 Ford Explorer (Eddie Bauer if that makes any difference) and we currently tow a Coleman PUP. I would really enjoy getting a travel trailer but of course safety comes first. We are looking at a 1999 prowler - 26 feet, the listed weight is 4270. Is this pushing it? We just put in a new transmission this spring and it does have a cooler. Any advice will be gladly accepted!
what engine you have (4.0 or 5.0) and what is your gear ratio?

after you figure these then it should be easy to trace your towing capacities of your explorer from the charts that MountaineerGreen posted.

BRIAN95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 mountaineer
towing car

I have a 2001 mountaineer AWD with 5.0 with 3.73 and tow package and would like to know if I could tow my 95 mustang on a 18 ft open trailer. car weighs guessing around 31 or 3200 lbs.I was already going to use a weight dist hitch and have class 3 on already. trailer will be around 2000lbs. would I have to use air bags for sagging.and will motor be struggling.

greenbeer

Another day, Another dent
Reaction score
City, State
Gresham, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0
I pull an 1800 pound car trailer with my 5000 pound lifted Explorer on it's back on a regular basis with my 2001 Limited with a 5.0, 3.73 gears, and factory air-ride with no problems. Never felt unsafe on the highway ever. Trailer brakes are a must though.

SCHOE2

Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98,99 XLT Sports
Towing Capacity MAXED!

A few years ago I was going to tow a 1997 XLT Sport. No big deal under normal circumstances, right? I was going to tow it with my 1992 XLT Sport with a clutch and a 4.0. I live in southeast Michigan and was going to upstate New York in the Allegeney mountains to get the 97. There was no 2 wheel dolly to tow with when I got there only a 4 wheel car hauler at U-Haul. I did not have a choice. I ended up towing the whole thing back to Michigan with no problem. But, I would never do it again! I do not recommend anyone to do what I did. Total weight of the tow (trailer and 97 XLT) was approx. 7000 lbs. give or take 200-300 lbs. The point of this is to simply say that Explorers are tough vehicles and can take a lot. I was doing a lot of praying, thank God! I still have the 92 and the 97 but I am selling the 92 to a friend who wants it real bad and I just got a 99 XLT on Friday with 86,000 miles on it (1 owner).
Schoe

PS- The 92 has 230,000 miles on it and runs like a bat out of heck. Good truck! Faithful truck!

Expdude

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Towbar Towing question

Hey all, I am new to this section and I wanted to know if anyone has used a towbar to tow a car behind a Ford explorer? I am moving my girlfriend back to Seattle from Los Angeles and I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS with the 3.55 gear. My girlfriends car is an 1993 Acura Integra. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!:salute:

GreenMando

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac XLT 4x4 V8
Hey all, I am new to this section and I wanted to know if anyone has used a towbar to tow a car behind a Ford explorer? I am moving my girlfriend back to Seattle from Los Angeles and I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS with the 3.55 gear. My girlfriends car is an 1993 Acura Integra. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!:salute:
All depends on your receiver, motor size and Acura weight.

Expdude

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
My explorer has a 4.0L SOHC with a 1 and 1/4 inch reciever with a class 2 hitch. The curb wieght of the acura is 2500 lbs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SCHOE2

Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98,99 XLT Sports
Seattle Tow

You should have no problems at all. See my post above if you need assurance. The towing ability of your Explorer is more than able to handle a humble 2500 lbs. Something to watch for is if the car being towed is an automatic. If it is, and is a front wheel drive, you will need a 2 wheel car dolly to tow it with. If you do not choose to use this setup you will screw up the automatic trans since they do not like being towed. Have fun.
Schoe