• Register Today It's free!

Explorer vs Expedition??

aMiranda

Reaction score
City, State
Cicero Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Sport
Hey everyone I basically want your opinion on the Explorer when having kids. I have a 4 yr old and a 4 month old. To those of you with kids, how is the second row seating space with booster/baby seats? It looks a little tight back there and the seats are bulky and all. I was starting to think if I should go with an Expedition instead? I want to buy by the end of November so I have about a month to make up my mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, we plan on taking many road trips for years to come. Camping, fishing trips, etc. So long drives are a must

If you are considering an addition, maybe the Expedition would be better. I have a 2 and 4 year old myself and the Explorer is perfect. Grandma and grandpa can sit in the 3rd row in a pinch for short trips. The 2nd row stepover console is the only way to access the 3rd row for me with both 2nd row seats having child seats. I daily drive the Explorer and can't imagine having the Expedition. It might be great for trips but for daily driving, it would be a chore and no fun to drive.

If you are considering an addition, maybe the Expedition would be better. I have a 2 and 4 year old myself and the Explorer is perfect. Grandma and grandpa can sit in the 3rd row in a pinch for short trips. The 2nd row stepover console is the only way to access the 3rd row for me with both 2nd row seats having child seats. I daily drive the Explorer and can't imagine having the Expedition. It might be great for trips but for daily driving, it would be a chore and no fun to drive.
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. Anybody else care to chime in?

I have a 14 Explorer so my opinion here isn't well informed (I haven't driven the new Explorer and I won't be getting one) but I am now the proud owner of two small kids so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I never thought I'd yearn for anything bigger than an Explorer but if I was in your position now, I'd go with the Expedition. My children are still infants/toddlers so their car seats are bulky but I can't get into my normal driving position with both seats in place. Also, my 14 Explorer Sport doesn't have Captain's chairs so sending Grandma/Grandpa to the back seats becomes an issue.

A friend recently bought the Expedition with Captain's chairs and he absolutely loves it. It's a good looking SUV with loads of space and decent power. You'll have to make a few compromises with the Explorer and the kids that you won't have to make in the Expedition. If you do stick to the Explorer, make sure you get the Captain's chairs.

Let us know what you pick!

I have a three year old and 4 month old. The explorer seems to fit everything for the most part, but can get tight on long trips with everything packed in. Would a large vehicle be nicer? Sure. But with 95% of my driving, the explorer is so much easier to daily drive than what I imagine an expedition would be. Unless I was constantly filling up all the seats in my explorer, I'd probably go for the explorer. I have a 2017 Explorer right now but will be upgrading in the next year. Definitely will go for another explorer.

I have a three year old and 4 month old. The explorer seems to fit everything for the most part, but can get tight on long trips with everything packed in. Would a large vehicle be nicer? Sure. But with 95% of my driving, the explorer is so much easier to daily drive than what I imagine an expedition would be. Unless I was constantly filling up all the seats in my explorer, I'd probably go for the explorer. I have a 2017 Explorer right now but will be upgrading in the next year. Definitely will go for another explorer.
Thanks a bunch guys. The wife and I doubt we're going for a 3rd child so more room probably wont be necessary. I was more interested in comfortable space when traveling long distances. Wife, myself, and 2 kids with booster seats, a stroller, couple bags of luggage, and cooler full of cold beer. Maybe I'll even buy a carrier to take my Traeger along.

Thanks a bunch guys. The wife and I doubt we're going for a 3rd child so more room probably wont be necessary. I was more interested in comfortable space when traveling long distances. Wife, myself, and 2 kids with booster seats, a stroller, couple bags of luggage, and cooler full of cold beer. Maybe I'll even buy a carrier to take my Traeger along.
Btw: if I buy the Explorer I'm going with anything from 2017 to 2019, I dislike the 2020 body style. Still have to make up my mind between Sport or Sport Appearance package XLT.

Just keep in mind that with those years, you will still have the possible water pump issue. Might be an idea to look at getting an ESP.

Peter

Just keep in mind that with those years, you will still have the possible water pump issue. Might be an idea to look at getting an ESP.

Peter
Im aware of this, I've done 3 so far both on Explorers and Lincoln MKTs. I'm a auto tech so I'm not too worried about this or the PTU issues

IMO, anything modern with individual seats is less comfortable for kids on long trips than a good old bench seat would be, where they can sprawl out and lie down (now against the law due to no seatbelt!) but otherwise I don't find the 2nd row on my '14 Explorer lacking in space, especially for kids opposed to full grown adults. Maybe it is more so if you are really tall and have the front seats all the way back and reclined a lot.

The 3rd row Explorer seating is a bit cramped, only smaller children will be happy there for more than an hour but it's somewhat of a non-issue in that on longer trips you'd want 3rd row down for more rear cargo area.

Ultimately you should test drive, and test fit them both, and decide for yourself.

My opinion: kids equal more crap. When they older you will want a row for each.
That's just not practical with the explorer.
You can't have 3 rows and pack anything.
I love my exp, but on trips the back is full when the doggo is in the back seat.
Which is like leaving 2 kids.

With the explorer you will likely have a hitch carrier or a roof too full of junk. The bigger unit is going to be a better bet.

when I was a kid, we went from a 75 Scott II to an 84 s10 blazer, then when we got the 86 surburban,me and my brother were in heaven not having to sit on top of each other.
And we had enough room for the cooler, fishing rods, clothes, shoes, toys, **** and more ****.

^ How times change. It depends on how much stuff you want to take with you far more than just 2 adults and 2 kids. When I was a kid, two adults, two kids, and everything they needed for a week long trip, fit into a well packed, full sized coupe.

I had an old S10 Blazer (actually S15 GMC Jimmy, same diff), which was nowhere near as large as a 5th gen Explorer. 5th gen Explorer is closer to the size of an '86 Suburban... maybe a foot shorter cargo area?

Is everyone else as tired of peters nonsense as I am. Seems like ever thread he has to interject dribble that doesn't apply to much of anything.

You said you traded the 2013 but yet in your post you state " The steering rack is out in my limited 2013. 2k later it will be fixed (next week)......"
Did you mean your 2016 Sport?

Peter

^ How times change. It depends on how much stuff you want to take with you far more than just 2 adults and 2 kids. When I was a kid, two adults, two kids, and everything they needed for a week long trip, fit into a well packed, full sized coupe.

I had an old S10 Blazer (actually S15 GMC Jimmy, same diff), which was nowhere near as large as a 5th gen Explorer. 5th gen Explorer is closer to the size of an '86 Suburban... maybe a foot shorter cargo area?

I'd say the 5th gen is not even close to the surburban.
The 86 suburban you could lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells with rear seat laid down.
With the rear seat up, it was about 6' deep. with the 3rd row it was about 3.5ft from my memory.
The explorer has about 1ft of room with the 3rd row up.

Good luck all. I can no longer stand the bullying from Peterk9 to update my profile, and his continued dribble on everything I post.
It is clear that all he does is idle dribble all over the forum.
I have requested that moderators remove all my information from this site.

Hope Peter can continue to help everyone on this forum keep their profile and signature up to date.

Anyone else that has had the same, please message the OTHER moderators if there are any, as I am simply tired of it.

I have owned 2 Explorers and 2 Expys. Stick w/ the Expy they are roomy
and cheaper than the kids!

I'd say the 5th gen is not even close to the surburban.
The 86 suburban you could lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells with rear seat laid down.
With the rear seat up, it was about 6' deep. with the 3rd row it was about 3.5ft from my memory.
The explorer has about 1ft of room with the 3rd row up.
Just checked this, and the truth is somewhere in the middle. An S10 Blazer is 170", 28" shorter than a 5th gen Explorer at 198", and narrower. The suburban is 21" longer still at 219". Width is about the same, suburban 0.7" wider at 79.6".

Why would it matter what the cargo area is with the 3rd row up, if you don't have a 5th person that would sit in the 3rd row so no reason it would be up? I don't see the relevance of fitting a sheet of plywood in unless you plan on building a shed to stay in when you get to your destination. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you can get a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the wells of an Explorer?
What is this fascination with plywood? Not once in my life have I ever gone on vacation and folded the seats down, left the kids behind because I wanted to take sheets of plywood with me instead, lol.

Different cargo has different requirements. If you just want the biggest thing possible then get an extended length panel van, motorhome, etc.

Back