• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Vs. Mountaineer Diffs.

Explorer0204

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT
A few months ago I got a 2in reciever from a mountaneer for my explorer out of a junkyard. For the tow package in any third gen you had to have 3.73s with LS so I assume it has 3.73 with LS though I can confirm that of course...

My question is that is there anything different about the 3.73 diffs in a mountaineer vs an explorer. I know that the mountaineers uses an AWD system not a 4WD auto system. This "shouldn't" matter but it could so I am just wondering if anyone knows.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The diff should be the same

The diff should be the same

Cool this is my thought.

I am considering going to 245s or maybe 265s but I tow occasionally so I won't do the tires unless I do diffs. I gotta price em anyway and see if they are reasonable. I'd like to see the mileage on that mountaineer too cause I know the rear ends in these things can get noiseh with miles..

Before you go swapping doffs make sure yours doesn't have 3:73 already

Before you go swapping doffs make sure yours doesn't have 3:73 already

Believe me... I did. That and the lack of tow package are the only things that I didn't like about this one compared to my 02. But it was super clean, low miles good price and I was getting to the point that bumming rides wasn't working out too well. I don't regret buying it by any means.. I just love to mess with stuff so to me it isn't even about the money as long as I have it. I just like to play..

Well swapping diffs, 2" receiver and trans cooler and it's like it came with the tow package lol

Well swapping diffs, 2" receiver and trans cooler and it's like it came with the tow package lol

Hmm... I think I can get a set of rims on Craigslist for 75-100 bucks so if that goes through I may just run tall tires when I want em and tow with the stock ones...

A few months ago I got a 2in reciever from a mountaneer for my explorer out of a junkyard. For the tow package in any third gen you had to have 3.73s with LS so I assume it has 3.73 with LS though I can confirm that of course...

My question is that is there anything different about the 3.73 diffs in a mountaineer vs an explorer. I know that the mountaineers uses an AWD system not a 4WD auto system. This "shouldn't" matter but it could so I am just wondering if anyone knows.

I used an Aviator rear diff when I upgraded gears in my 04. As long as you don't try to put an Advancetrac diff in your truck when you don't have it, or vice versa, they are interchangeable. You can tell because the non-advancetrac rear diffs have an ABS sensor on the outside of the diff and a tone ring inside, right next to the ring gear. The advantrac diffs removed the abs sensor from the diff and placed tone rings on the ends of the rear CV shafts.

I used an Aviator rear diff when I upgraded gears in my 04. As long as you don't try to put an Advancetrac diff in your truck when you don't have it, or vice versa, they are interchangeable. You can tell because the non-advancetrac rear diffs have an ABS sensor on the outside of the diff and a tone ring inside, right next to the ring gear. The advantrac diffs removed the abs sensor from the diff and placed tone rings on the ends of the rear CV shafts.

Great info thanks. How hard are they to swap out?

Just a side note to be careful with: I do not know if you have a 2wd or 4wd explorer, but you will have to swap gears on the front diff also if you have a 4wd. 2wd, no problems!

Just a side note to be careful with: I do not know if you have a 2wd or 4wd explorer, but you will have to swap gears on the front diff also if you have a 4wd. 2wd, no problems!

I have a 4wd so I gotta do both.

An ex with auto 4x4 and two different diffs would make some incredible noises I bet tho!

Another thing to note I guess would be to reprogram the computer to the new gear ratio. It will use that info to determine the shift strategy for the tranny, and for the speedo.

Another thing to note I guess would be to reprogram the computer to the new gear ratio. It will use that info to determine the shift strategy for the tranny, and for the speedo.

This is what makes me hesitate on the diffs cause I know if I did em I would want the fancy Sct tuner that does all of that and even firms the shifts of the Trans.

Then the tuner allows you to remove the rear o2 sensors so I would have to do that. Then take the cats out and run true duals..

It's just one big but awesome money pit heheh

You wanted to start modifying... lol, I've been there, and it doesn't get any better... You will always find more things that "need" modifying

You wanted to start modifying... lol, I've been there, and it doesn't get any better... You will always find more things that "need" modifying

Amen to that!

I've already..
Plasti dipped the rims and the grill
radio w/ bluetooth best 120 I have ever spent on it
trans cooler
2 inch reciever
tow loops
cb radio and antenna
just ordered a diff lock

What I want to do in the perfect moneyless world lol

V8 swap with the 3 valve 6 speed
locker up front too.
3.73s with 265's and a 3 inch lift to get the gearing back to stockish (the 4th gen v8s with the 6 speed had 3.55s even with tow packages)

But alas. most of this won't happen.

Well, the lift is fairly cheap... I got spacers and upper control arms from btf for about $1000 including shipping... And I put 265/75R16 tires on... Altho I already have the 4.6, I too would like the bigger V8... Actually, been looking at the 5.0, cause Ford Racing makes a plug and play kit... Dreams... lol

Well, the lift is fairly cheap... I got spacers and upper control arms from btf for about $1000 including shipping... And I put 265/75R16 tires on... Altho I already have the 4.6, I too would like the bigger V8... Actually, been looking at the 5.0, cause Ford Racing makes a plug and play kit... Dreams... lol

Wait wait wait...

Ford racing makes a plug and play kit for third Gen explorers to get the 5.0??even for the 6 bangers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol, no no, they make a 5.0 kit that comes with a motor, fly-by-wire throttlebody and throttle, and a pcm... Basicly get the motor in, and plug in the computer! Muh hahahaaa!!! You would still need to get a tranny to bolt up to it and such, but with the pcm out of that kit, that would eliminate trying to make a wiring harness and trying to program it to run and all those not so fun things.

Back