Explorer vs Nav/ ecoboost 3.5v6 differences | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer vs Nav/ ecoboost 3.5v6 differences

Jayude

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hunting
Can someone explain to me how the new navigator, and the 2017 raptor are using (I think the same engine) but getting way more power? Is it just as simple as larger turbos?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can someone explain to me how the new navigator, and the 2017 raptor are using (I think the same engine) but getting way more power? Is it just as simple as larger turbos?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not sure how these engines are configured but the same engine can be set up to provide different levels of HP and Torque. Perhaps someone can explain the actual workings behind that. The 2020 Explorer ST is reported to have the 3.3L Ecoboost with 400 HP and lb-ft torque which is more than the current 3.5L Ecoboost.

Peter

I was doing some additional research via some other f150 forums. Apparently the raptor is an high output configuration, scaled down from the ford gt. Not sure what different from the navigator, I don't see them putting in a high output in some thing like that. HO in my experience has always been a performance tag

The article I posted states the differences.

Different engine tunes to get the different HP/Torque numbers...same basic motors, just the tune/fuel map is changed.

Different engine tunes to get the different HP/Torque numbers...same basic motors, just the tune/fuel map is changed.

Not true

And...because?

Nissan does the same thing with their 3.5L NA engine in different cars. In the Murano it gets 260 HP, in the Pathfinder, 284 HP, in the Maxima, 300 HP. Just because it says it's a 3.5L, doesn't mean they perform the same or have all of the same parts and pieces.

And...because?

Well I am not sure why you would post that it is just tuning when I posted the link to what is different in this thread.

Direct from the link:

Engineers achieved the gains in power and efficiency with higher-boost turbos, port fuel injection (in addition to existing direct injection), Ford-first electronically controlled turbo waste gates, weight-saving hollow camshafts fitted with roller-finger follower valvetrains and standard auto stop/start. Overall, the engine is 4 lbs. (1.8 kg) lighter compared with its predecessor.

Mazuchowski says the Borg Warner-supplied turbos feature upgraded turbine wheels made of lightweight Mar-M-247 super-alloy that are more responsive. Boost is up 2.5 psi (.17 bar) to 16 psi (1.1 bar) using the same 51-mm (2-in.) diameter turbine wheels but employing more sharply angled vanes.

So new turbo, 2 injectors per cylinder instead of 1, different wastegate, different camshaft..

Not sure how this equates to just "tuning". This is a 2nd gen motor.

Well I am not sure why you would post that it is just tuning when I posted the link to what is different in this thread.

Direct from the link:

So new turbo, 2 injectors per cylinder instead of 1, different wastegate, different camshaft..

Not sure how this equates to just "tuning". This is a 2nd gen motor.

Sorry, I didn’t see your link...I was thinking the OP was also asking about the other new platforms that use the second-gen 3.5 and why their HP/Torque numbers are different.

Yep, that’s what I thought at first...blew right past it :)

Back