Explorer vs. Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer vs. Sport Trac

mrklai

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 ST|04 EX XLT
Hoping to find a serious answer seeing as thought Ford will not give me one.

I have a 01 ST 4.0 v6 and an 02 Ex 4.6 v8...looking to swap engine and tranny from the ST to the Ex wiring and all. Can this be done, and if so, what are the major differences I should be aware of, and if not, Why?

PLEASE someone help me...really trying to get my Ex back on the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything can be done, given the proper amount of money, time and ingenuity. This however is one swap that you shouldn't even bother with trying.

The 01 ST is based on the 2nd gen. Explorer and it will be nothing but a headache trying to swap into your 3rd gen.

There are 4.6l engines the will swap right in EVERYWHERE. You need a modular 4.6l Romeo engine. Mustang GT, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car, etc. Ford used them in everything.

My advice, sell the ST and/or engine and buy the right one for your ex.

Thanks for the response HiImBrian...

...that was my initial thought, to sell the ST engine/tranny and just buy the right one for my EX, but honestly, I can't find an engine for less than 1800, let alone a combo deal...guess I'll be steadily praying for my miracle.

SN: where are the listing for parts for sale, I stumbled upon it once, but no one was in my area.

SN: where are the listing for parts for sale, I stumbled upon it once, but no one was in my area.

Scroll down the home page.

At the very least you would need to redo the timing chains on that ST engine before putting it in, too.

Offtrac, I thought Ford fixed the timing chain issues in 01?

Yes, the Job 2 '01. I'd certainly recommend the OP find out for sure what the build date is and whether it had the upgraded tensioners.

Back