• Register Today It's free!

Explorer w/ 2.3L

RDynamic

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Hello, everyone. I just have a question for Explorer owners with the 2.3 EcoBoost. I was wondering if the engine is a good partner with the Explorer in terms of engine noise, and overall smoothness of the engine. I have heard in some reviews that the 2.3 was a raspy, noisy engine. I was hoping this is not true in the 2020/2021 models, and one of the reasons why I'm considering the Hybrid w/ the 3.3 V6 is the reduced engine noise and overall reliability from the low stress V6. So someone, please convince me that the 2.3 is an OK engine! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, everyone. I just have a question for Explorer owners with the 2.3 EcoBoost. I was wondering if the engine is a good partner with the Explorer in terms of engine noise, and overall smoothness of the engine. I have heard in some reviews that the 2.3 was a raspy, noisy engine. I was hoping this is not true in the 2020/2021 models, and one of the reasons why I'm considering the Hybrid w/ the 3.3 V6 is the reduced engine noise and overall reliability from the low stress V6. So someone, please convince me that the 2.3 is an OK engine! :)
I have a Limited with the 2.3. The engine is defintely noisy during acceleration. On the highway it is quiet. Some models have under hood/engine bay insulation. The base models may not have this insulation.

The power from the 2.3 is actually quite good. There is definitely mixed feedback from owners about the 2.3. I can get 30-31 mpg on the highway during road trips, so that is a bonus. You should test drive one thoroughly if you are on the fence.

I have a Limited with the 2.3. The engine is defintely noisy during acceleration. On the highway it is quiet. Some models have under hood/engine bay insulation. The base models may not have this insulation.

The power from the 2.3 is actually quite good. There is definitely mixed feedback from owners about the 2.3. I can get 30-31 mpg on the highway during road trips, so that is a bonus. You should test drive one thoroughly if you are on the fence.
My XLT didn't come with the insulation pad, but it's only around $100 to add it. It made a big difference for me. It is a little noisy, but once you are moving you can't hear it.

I think the power is more than adequate for this size of a vehicle. I have not towed with it yet, but I would assume the torque down low is enough to get moving. MPG is great

I have the 2020 Limited and I would say noise is good at cruising speeds, maybe a bit loud if you accelerate quickly but not too bad IMO. It's no speed demon, but I would say the 2.3 is a good match for the car.

I think the 2.3 liter is perfect in the new Explorer, as it is in the Ranger and Mustang. I just wish they would have tuned it a little more like the Mustang or Focus RS. The engine could easily have 325 HP and better sounds from the twin scroll but Ford probably decided not to do this to not cut into the ST 400 HP v6 sales. I have always been a fan of high powered 4 cylinders especially tuned models. The motor could benefit from some tuning which given that it is a 2.3 liter then it does have options out there for it. However, voiding your warranty probably is not on most peoples minds.

If you are really concerned about it, why not take one for a test drive. Noise levels can be somewhat subjective, so only you can tell if it is the right choice for yourself. As mentioned, it seems that the 2020 XLT did not have the hood insulation pad which appears to have been added in the 2021.
So I guess you are no longer looking at the Aviator. :)

Peter

If you are really concerned about it, why not take one for a test drive. Noise levels can be somewhat subjective, so only you can tell if it is the right choice for yourself. As mentioned, it seems that the 2020 XLT did not have the hood insulation pad which appears to have been added in the 2021.
So I guess you are no longer looking at the Aviator. :)

Peter
Nope, just bought a truck and if I buy the Aviator it will burn a hole in my wallet! 😂 Kind of regret not getting an Aviator but still love the new truck.

Thanks for the replies everyone! This definitely makes me feel better about getting a 2.3 Explorer.

My 2021 xlt has hood insulation, and I would agree that the engine is a bit raspy. More noticeable in eco mode than any other. Is there an engine cover that can be purchased for the 2.3? It looks like the same engine as the ranger which does have an engine cover.

My 2021 xlt has hood insulation, and I would agree that the engine is a bit raspy. More noticeable in eco mode than any other. Is there an engine cover that can be purchased for the 2.3? It looks like the same engine as the ranger which does have an engine cover.
Yes there is. I have one on my 2020 xlt. Sounds like Ford deleted the engine cover and installed the pad for 2021. Who knows what they’re thought process is.

Yes there is. I have one on my 2020 xlt. Sounds like Ford deleted the engine cover and installed the pad for 2021. Who knows what they’re thought process is.
Probably the pad is cheaper, or having all the same hoods makes manufacturing easier. I'm sure it's a cost savings measure, or better sound dampening for the same cost.

Could have been cost savings but I would go with supplier issues more than likely.

The 2.3 is noisy in city driving. It sounds like a rental car.

Highway is perfect.

I just removed the engine cover as it had merely become a place for the squirrels to hide their winter larder. It was also a little more difficult to inspect the area and check the oil. The engine cover was of absolutely no benefit.
OTOH...I've never had a car before that didn't have an engine bonnet pad. So...that may be the next installation.

I just removed the engine cover as it had merely become a place for the squirrels to hide their winter larder. It was also a little more difficult to inspect the area and check the oil. The engine cover was of absolutely no benefit.
OTOH...I've never had a car before that didn't have an engine bonnet pad. So...that may be the next installation.
You have the 2.3? If so could you post a pic of the engine cover you removed? Thanks!

I haven't had any luck find that engine cover on either the Ford or AutoNation parts sites. BTW, some 5th gen XLT models also did not have the hood insulation pad. It was called an Engine Appearance Cover.

Peter

I haven't had any luck find that engine cover on either the Ford or AutoNation parts sites. BTW, some 5th gen XLT models also did not have the hood insulation pad. It was called an Engine Appearance Cover.

Peter
1612454957207.png

this is it used ones 60 bucks on fleabay, could be me but it is one ugly piece of plastic

Thank you. If it is like previous ones, I believe it is actually a piece of hard foam. ;)

Peter

Thank you. If it is like previous ones, I believe it is actually a piece of hard foam. ;)

Peter

At first I was like why is that not there, but then when I saw it I was like thank gosh it is not there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter
It's not really a hard foam. Sort of semi flexible. Of no use at all...except for the aforementioned squirrels.

Back