Explorer w/ 2.3L | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer w/ 2.3L

Ever so often you should turn the sport mode on and boost the crap out of the motor a few times. Some 20 lb boost pulls will burn off carbon build up, if it really bothers you run an oil catch can off the pvc system.

Very true.

My car seems to run very well following a day of "fun". Catch cans can void warranty on some cars that still have a warranty so be careful with that. I never ran a catch can in my corvette and when i pull the supercharger lid once a year for inspection, it always shows up clean. Frequent oil changes are a must!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very true.

My car seems to run very well following a day of "fun". Catch cans can void warranty on some cars that still have a warranty so be careful with that. I never ran a catch can in my corvette and when i pull the supercharger lid once a year for inspection, it always shows up clean. Frequent oil changes are a must!

Its not really 20lbs more like 17-18, but the recommended spark plug change is at 60k miles.

Its not really 20lbs more like 17-18, but the recommended spark plug change is at 60k miles.

On the EX or cars in general?

Technically iridium spark plugs they put from factory on most performance cars, if stock and remain stock, can last up to 100k miles. I just never ever recommend that. Even if the plug itself can last that long, good luck trying to get plugs out of the head after 100k miles.

On the EX or cars in general?

Technically iridium spark plugs they put from factory on most performance cars, if stock and remain stock, can last up to 100k miles. I just never ever recommend that. Even if the plug itself can last that long, good luck trying to get plugs out of the head after 100k miles.

I'm not sure in sport mode the 2.3 liter is boosting around 16-18 lbs, and in normal mode around 8-10 lbs. This is just an estimate as you would need a cobb access port or boost garage to actually measure it. The factory explorer manual states the platinum plugs should be replaced at 60k miles which makes sense for a high boost gdi application. Looks to be an easy job so some motorcarft plugs and 30 minutes they would be done.

I'm not sure in sport mode the 2.3 liter is boosting around 16-18 lbs, and in normal mode around 8-10 lbs. This is just an estimate as you would need a cobb access port or boost garage to actually measure it. The factory explorer manual states the platinum plugs should be replaced at 60k miles which makes sense for a high boost gdi application. Looks to be an easy job so some motorcarft plugs and 30 minutes they would be done.

Wait is your first statement correct? I never really looked into it as i lost a lot of interest in this SUV the past few months or so. If so i may just leave it in sport mode from now on. I basically drive in normal mode about 95% of the time. Only the past week or so i been driving in snow mode because of the well......snow lol.

I don't go by manual recommendations on spark plug changes. For one, i lease a lot of my cars.

And on my corvette, i change them every 10-15k miles anyway lol. It's due this spring for another spark plug change. But i use copper plugs. They're better for performance and especially for my application but it has a very short life span. Even 15k for my application is stretching it.

Wait is your first statement correct? I never really looked into it as i lost a lot of interest in this SUV the past few months or so. If so i may just leave it in sport mode from now on. I basically drive in normal mode about 95% of the time. Only the past week or so i been driving in snow mode because of the well......snow lol.

I don't go by manual recommendations on spark plug changes. For one, i lease a lot of my cars.

And on my corvette, i change them every 10-15k miles anyway lol. It's due this spring for another spark plug change. But i use copper plugs. They're better for performance and especially for my application but it has a very short life span. Even 15k for my application is stretching it.

Yes in normal vs sport mode several things take place. One the fuel maps become more aggressive in sport mode and the boost levels are increased. This makes the full 300 hp as someone in this thread mentioned. In normal mode the timing is not as advanced, boost dropped, and fuel maps less aggressive. This is the same way I use to use boost controllers, safcs, and power fcs to run two maps back on turbo vehicles from the mid to late 90s. Now modern automakers do this for us. It really is a great time to be a car enthusiast. The trade off is less mpg

Regardless man NA displacement can only take you so far, turbos and boost is were the happiness happens so that can be your replacement for the lack of displacement. 😆 🤣

The 2.3L is a very capable engine in such a small machine as the Explorer. The V6 would've been nice...but not an extra $12,000 nice. XLT to Platinum had a ridiculously large difference in price, and completely unnecessary.
Pretty sure you have that backwards. The 2.3L is such a small machine for a relatively LARGE passenger vehicle as an Explorer. If you really want a turbo, put it on a larger engine.... or pick fuel economy instead, but recognize that a turbo is not magical, it does not reduce, rather increases the stresses on that tiny engine.

It all seems a bit backwards to me to pick a larger vehicle and THEN think about fuel economy, particularly when having the tiny engine, it is not as capable of hauling a load or towing, unless of course you just want to rag it out that much faster.

Yes in normal vs sport mode several things take place. One the fuel maps become more aggressive in sport mode and the boost levels are increased. This makes the full 300 hp as someone in this thread mentioned. In normal mode the timing is not as advanced, boost dropped, and fuel maps less aggressive. This is the same way I use to use boost controllers, safcs, and power fcs to run two maps back on turbo vehicles from the mid to late 90s. Now modern automakers do this for us. It really is a great time to be a car enthusiast. The trade off is less mpg

Regardless man NA displacement can only take you so far, turbos and boost is were the happiness happens so that can be your replacement for the lack of displacement. 😆 🤣

I currently don't own an NA car so i know all about that FI life. My C7 Z06 comes supercharged from factory. I been around turbo cars my whole life. Dating back to the late 90s. Trust me i know lol.

I'm just new to the explorer platform because it's my first explorer and honestly, my first ford LOL. I've driven a ton of them. My friends 03 cobra has been my favorite ford i've driven/ridden.

Will try out sport mode once all this new snow stops.

Pretty sure you have that backwards. The 2.3L is such a small machine for a relatively LARGE passenger vehicle as an Explorer. If you really want a turbo, put it on a larger engine.... or pick fuel economy instead, but recognize that a turbo is not magical, it does not reduce, rather increases the stresses on that tiny engine.

It all seems a bit backwards to me to pick a larger vehicle and THEN think about fuel economy, particularly when having the tiny engine, it is not as capable of hauling a load or towing, unless of course you just want to rag it out that much faster.
Fuel economy never entered into the equation. Small SUV and 300 HP seemed about right to me. I've never needed more than 150-200 HP at any time. The $12,000 savings at initial vehicle cost was the deciding factor. Now...if it had the 5.0L, that would have impressed me and I may've popped for it. But a V6? Nah.
The 2.3L EcoBoost is plenty for this little wagon.

I'm one of those guys that keeps a vehicle until it is no longer economically repairable. 10, 15 years or so.
This vehicle is the first GDI engine for me and it took me by surprise. I'd heard rumours that piqued my interest, so I started studying it a few weeks ago. I felt my heart sink when I fully understood what may be in store for me. BTW, Ford isn't the only manufacturer with the problem.

I started my career on big old supercharged radial aero engines with dual downdraft, fuel injected Bendix Stromberg PD12K18 carburetors. Never in four decades had I heard of, or seen gunk on the back of intake valves. Exhaust valves? Yes, sometimes. But never intake valves.
Never seen it in any of my cars either.

The problem is that the injectors are spraying the fuel directly into the combustion chamber, bypassing the valves altogether. Most folks don't understand the effect of never having a spray of cold, clean fuel washing the back of intake valves. That includes many back yard mechanics. That's ok. I never thought about it either until I looked into it.

No amount of babying, or thrashing about for that matter will address the intake valve problem on GDI engines.
There are cleaning methods, including disassembly of the intake/cyl head, and mechanical removal/walnut blasting of the deposits. There are also chemical/POL products that may...MAY mitigate future problems. We'll see as time passes.

Some of Ford's engines now have a dual injection system incorporating GDI and port fuel injection due to the issue. But the 2.3L isn't one of them. My hope is that the 2.3L wasn't included in the upgrade program because, by some fluke, it didn't present with the problem. Fingers crossed.

Fuel economy never entered into the equation. Small SUV and 300 HP seemed about right to me. I've never needed more than 150-200 HP at any time. The $12,000 savings at initial vehicle cost was the deciding factor. Now...if it had the 5.0L, that would have impressed me and I may've popped for it. But a V6? Nah.
The 2.3L EcoBoost is plenty for this little wagon.

I have owned 20-30 turbo vehicles through out my time and some modified ones, I have never blown one up. Knock on wood.

The 300 HP 2.3 liter is fine in the Explorer, great in the RS Focus, and also good in the Mustang and Ranger. It is a good motor IMO and they have actually integrated the exhaust ports into the head of the motor. I believe it will be good for many hundreds of thousands of miles as long as you maintain it and take care of it.

I have owned 20-30 turbo vehicles through out my time and some modified ones, I have never blown one up. Knock on wood.

The 300 HP 2.3 liter is fine in the Explorer, great in the RS Focus, and also good in the Mustang and Ranger. It is a good motor IMO and they have actually integrated the exhaust ports into the head of the motor. I believe it will be good for many hundreds of thousands of miles as long as you maintain it and take care of it.
That's my fervent hope.

I'm one of those guys that keeps a vehicle until it is no longer economically repairable. 10, 15 years or so.
This vehicle is the first GDI engine for me and it took me by surprise. I'd heard rumours that piqued my interest, so I started studying it a few weeks ago. I felt my heart sink when I fully understood what may be in store for me. BTW, Ford isn't the only manufacturer with the problem.
I started my career on big old supercharged radial aero engines with dual downdraft, fuel injected Bendix Stromberg PD12K18 carburetors. Never in four decades had I heard of, or seen gunk on the back of intake valves. Exhaust valves? Yes, sometimes. But never intake valves.

The problem is that the injectors are spraying the fuel directly into the combustion chamber, bypassing the valves altogether. Most folks don't understand the effect of never having fuel washing the back of intake valves. That includes many back yard mechanics. That's ok. I never thought about it either until I looked into it.

No amount of babying, or thrashing about for that matter will address the intake valve problem on GDI engines.
There are cleaning methods, including disassembly of the intake/cyl head, and mechanical removal/walnut blasting of the deposits. There are also chemical/POL products that may...MAY mitigate future problems. We'll see as time passes.

Some of Ford's engines now have a dual injection system incorporating GDI and port injection due to the issue. But the 2.3L isn't one of them. My hope is that the 2.3L wasn't included in the upgrade program because, by some fluke, it didn't present with the problem. Fingers crossed.

Uh yeah, this isn't an Audi or VW/ German vehicle you are driving around. Until they have a history of this I would not worry about it. I know Ford has not been at the GDI game very long but every one of them I have seen have not had issues. There are specific motor oils and I run 5W30 Castrol Edge is a GDI rated motor oil. The Ford setup is not a BMW, VW/ Audi setup and the issues you are seeing around not specific to the 2.3 liter Ecoboost motors.

Uh yeah, this isn't an Audi or VW/ German vehicle you are driving around. Until they have a history of this I would not worry about it. I know Ford has not been at the GDI game very long but every one of them I have seen have not had issues. There are specific motor oils and I run 5W30 Castrol Edge is a GDI rated motor oil. The Ford setup is not a BMW, VW/ Audi setup and the issues you are seeing around not specific to the 2.3 liter Ecoboost motors.
Taken into account.

You can still have fuel economy and overall power efficiency as well.

Why do you think many car makers ditched V8's for smaller engines with turbos? Turbo technology has come A LONG way.

No one is doubting the power capabilities of the 2.3L, i think people are mainly concerned with noise and longevity.

The low end torque the turbo gives the 2.3L gives peace of mind because you don't have to wind the engine out every time you accelerate to keep moving. While i don't love the sound my 2.3L makes, it actually "feels" faster than my previous daily, which was a WRX. And in an actual race, the WRX would smoke a 2.3L explorer.

They're a nice engine.

The problem is that the injectors are spraying the fuel directly into the combustion chamber, bypassing the valves altogether. Most folks don't understand the effect of never having a spray of cold, clean fuel washing the back of intake valves. That includes many back yard mechanics. That's ok. I never thought about it either until I looked into it.

Some of Ford's engines now have a dual injection system incorporating GDI and port fuel injection due to the issue. But the 2.3L isn't one of them. My hope is that the 2.3L wasn't included in the upgrade program because, by some fluke, it didn't present with the problem. Fingers crossed.

Damn your first GDI engine? Wow you weren't lying about keeping your cars 10-15 years! Yikes! That's very impressive though.

I used to get attached to my cars. But not anymore. Especially with how fast cars keep evolving, i try to own different things to experience as much as i can. That's why i lease cars now.

Any reason why you didn't aim for the ST though if your plan was to keep the vehicle that long?

Damn your first GDI engine? Wow you weren't lying about keeping your cars 10-15 years! Yikes! That's very impressive though.

I used to get attached to my cars. But not anymore. Especially with how fast cars keep evolving, i try to own different things to experience as much as i can. That's why i lease cars now.

Any reason why you didn't aim for the ST though if your plan was to keep the vehicle that long?

Would you rather have 300 HP and average 25-27 mpg or make an extra 100 HP and get 16-18 on average?

300 HP is a good mark for power and in its class it dominates especially with the MPG it returns. The ease of working on it makes a difference as well.

TBH, I just needed something to carry all the trio's musical gear/PA equipment, and my upright bass.
It also serves as the winter beater as the '11 Mustang and '77 MGB are the fair weather rides. I traded in my beloved 2006 Jeep Commander with a measly 235 HP V8 for the Explorer. That hurt just a little.

The ST seemed to be more problematic than the XLT at the time. Not worth ordering one in.
I also liked the 18" rim with a taller sidewall tire in order to get a smoother ride. It was like day and night when I test drove the XLTs with varying rims/tires. The 18" rims with Hancook tires was a much smoother ride than whatever was on the 20" rims.

Next will be a lease though. Getting too old to be buying expensive cars.

Would you rather have 300 HP and average 25-27 mpg or make an extra 100 HP and get 16-18 on average?

300 HP is a good mark for power and in its class it dominates especially with the MPG it returns. The ease of working on it makes a difference as well.

lol i rather have more power. But i guess that's my young age talking. I still like, and still own fast cars so that's the speed side of me talking. My job is only 8 miles away so i don't need really high MPG. I just want good low end torque (which the XLT has) and comfort while commuting (which the XLT has). The ST would've been sweet though.

I didn't opt for the ST during the time because i only had 1 week left on my lease (wrx) and i needed something quick. A mistake on my end as i should have done my homework much earlier. I got a good deal on my almost fully loaded XLT so i would have to have spent 20k more on the ST and i wasn't too sure on the platform. So i took the XLT lease.

At least i know now what the issues are with these cars and definitely keeping my eye on the revisions and improvements the next year or so because i do want an ST on the next lease.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TBH, I just needed something to carry all the trio's musical gear/PA equipment, and my upright bass.
It also serves as the winter beater as the '11 Mustang and '77 MGB are the fair weather rides. I traded in my beloved 2006 Jeep Commander with a measly 235 HP V8 for the Explorer. That hurt just a little.

The ST seemed to be more problematic than the XLT at the time. Not worth ordering one in.
I also liked the 18" rim with a taller sidewall tire in order to get a smoother ride. It was like day and night when I test drove the XLTs with varying rims/tires. The 18" rims with Hancook tires was a much smoother ride than whatever was on the 20" rims.

Next will be a lease though. Getting too old to be buying expensive cars.

Ah gotcha. I had a wrx prior to this lease and it was a great car. But i was getting tired of shifting and i was getting tired of having smaller cars to commute with. I don't have kids so i'll never use the 3rd row in the EX but i do use the backseat a lot to carry co-workers to meetings or to haul paperwork etc. It's very comfortable though. I got the 20" wheels and it's soo smooth. I would imagine 18's would've been smoother?

I hear you on the issues though. That's why i didn't get the ST. Next lease though, i hope.

Back