4pointslow

Explorer Torture Tester
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2Dr,2,000 & 04 4dr xlt
Time for my Explorer to loose a little weight in the name of quicker 1/4 mile times. Lets start with the Tow hook. Weighed in at aprox. 4lbs.

Attachments

• Tow hook 1.JPG
    Tow hook 1.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 966
  • Tow hook 2.JPG
    Tow hook 2.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 978
  • Tow hook 3.JPG
    Tow hook 3.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 968
  • Tow hook 4.JPG
    Tow hook 4.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 1,058

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bumper Support

Here is a neat one, 13lbs for this bracket that supports the bumper for towing. I don't need that. It bolts under the rear bumper, below the step.

Attachments

• Step 1.JPG
    Step 1.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 913
  • Bumper Bracket 1.JPG
    Bumper Bracket 1.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 967

Spare tire

Say goodbye to 46 lbs.

Attachments

• Spare tire.JPG
    Spare tire.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 924

Jack

Tire tools and Jack 7lbs.

Attachments

• Tire Tools and jack.JPG
    Tire Tools and jack.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 877

Spare Tire holder

another 3lbs gone

Attachments

• Spare holder 1.JPG
    Spare holder 1.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 893
  • Spare Holder 2.JPG
    Spare Holder 2.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 893

Total so far

Total so far is 73 lbs gone.
I will look for more to remove later. Rear wiper doesn't work very well on these trucks, it is probably next. Pending something to plug the hole.

You!

It had to be you! lol.
The whole time I was working on my truck last night I was thinking someone would say to remove the side steps. lol.
For 52 lbs that is really tempting. Eventually they will be gone.

Right now I am looking for things that are not very noticeable.
I am going to try to find a plug for the rear wiper hole today since it never worked very well and I don't drive it in the rain much anyway.
Then I am planning on removing the 7 foot PCM harness extension that I no longer need to have since my change to the GT500 super charger.
The rear seat belts are on my list, I have never put anyone back there and no one would notice them missing.
If I am in there removing the rear seat belts I might as well get that factory amplifier out from under that right rear interior panel. Just bypass it, since I have a Kenwood double din head unit I don't really need it.
There are 4 little brackets in the back of the truck for strapping things down, I don't need them. (not much of a weight reduction from them though) lol.

I was thinking of removing the metal plate under the transfer case but I don't know. I wonder if anyone else has removed that and had any bad side effects.

I am not removing the plate under the fuel tank, I would not feel safe about that. I should also install a driveshaft loop, but that is going in the wrong direction. lol.

52lbs, damn. I was wondering how much those step bars weighed. I would like to lower the truck a little so I don't need the step bars. I need wider tire treads for traction so I don't want to lower it until I know what is going under there. Maybe some new wheels too. I like the wheels that 18psiexplorer had/has. Nice wide tires too. I would want a little taller side walls, but then would they fit? Plus I don't want to add weight, putting heavier tires or rims on would be going the wrong direction. So then I think, maybe just wider tires on my stock aluminum rims. ?
I have to have a way to align the vehicle when done and I will not have someone else do it. We have alignment machines where I work that I could use but I would have to drive 40 miles to get it there. I would rather do it at home but my garage floor is nothing close to level. I read one of your threads where you did some front end work and kept the camber very close to where it needed to be, that was very clever. I was looking into those home alignment tools that attach to the wheels. Toe I can do with just a tape measure, its camber that I am most concerned with.

I guess this is why I have not changed the wheels/tires or lowered it yet. lol.

Thats pretty good!
Easy stuff to remove that you won't miss (unless you get a flat).

I have no spare tire anyway, so I think I'll follow suit on some of the stuff you removed. Thats a lot of weight you removed, and won't miss any of it.

Why bother removing the seatbelts, that would only remove like 1 pound per belt including the brackets, and then if you ever did have someone in the back, they wouldn't have a belt to use.

seat belts

Why bother removing the seatbelts, that would only remove like 1 pound per belt including the brackets, and then if you ever did have someone in the back, they wouldn't have a belt to use.

No one will ever ride in the back of this truck. I think I only allowed about 4 people to even ride in the front in about 6 years. This is not my daily driver, I have a 4 door Explorer and a Ranger for that. I use this truck for a couple racing events a year against the students from my work, lots of fun. Also do a lot of testing and tuning with it.
Best time at this years end was 12.93, going to beat that next year!

Lighter tires and rims will make the biggest difference. .I know its just on the dyno but think we was picking up almost 1 HP and close to 2 Lb of tq per pound for lighter tires...this was for same overall size tires, just different rims and tire shoulder/width...obviously overall size also comes into play on the track but we was on a dyno so real world times would be better evidence, which I dont have...

If they let you run with no hood I would pull it off and make a pass or two.I know explorer hoods are heavy. .I also would pull all seats but drivers before making a pass..if your just trying to make faster passes that is;)

Not to get off topic but that NOS should take you to any number you want...fyi i seen a 75 shot on a 4.0 sohc with m62 make 140 ish hp from the 75 shot on the dyno..but it wasnt IC so timing was turn up when NOS sprayed. .it LOVED it ;)

Hood

JD4242,
The hood is something else I was thinking about, I don't think you can run without it though.
I was thinking about a fiberglass hood. Explorer Express is the only one I know of. Expensive, have to have it shipped in a crate, and also needs to be painted like most do. I just might do it anyway, just not right now since I just got rid of my ugly hood scoop this year. The Explorer Express cowl hood scoop is much better looking than the one I had. I wish I could find one used or something, maybe even a fiberglass hood with out the scoop. No one makes stuff for the explorers though.
I wonder how much the E.E. hood weighs compared to the stock metal one.

The tire/wheel thing is driving me nuts too, My wheels weigh 13 lbs each. Compared to the old steel ones that were 26lbs each. I think the tires were 26 lbs each for a total of 39-40 lbs if I recall correctly.

The GT500 nitrous plate is advertised as going down to 35 HP, cant wait to see the effects it has on my setup.

JD4242,
The hood is something else I was thinking about, I don't think you can run without it though.
I was thinking about a fiberglass hood. Explorer Express is the only one I know of. Expensive, have to have it shipped in a crate, and also needs to be painted like most do. I just might do it anyway, just not right now since I just got rid of my ugly hood scoop this year. The Explorer Express cowl hood scoop is much better looking than the one I had. I wish I could find one used or something, maybe even a fiberglass hood with out the scoop. No one makes stuff for the explorers though.

The tire/wheel thing is driving me nuts too, My wheels weigh 13 lbs each. Compared to the old steel ones that were 26lbs each. I think the tires were 26 lbs each for a total of 39-40 lbs if I recall correctly.

The GT500 nitrous plate is advertised as going down to 35 HP, cant wait to see the effects it has on my setup.

Just so you know, after each post you make I sneak over and pour lead shot into your body panel voids with an epoxy binder to make up for the weight you take out.

;)

Just so you know, after each post you make I sneak over and pour lead shot into your body panel voids with an epoxy binder to make up for the weight you take out.

;)

i like this guy! :D

how about the plastic wind deflector under the rad? only a pound or 2 but hey. also do you ever use the e brake? if you took the cables pads, and the peddle out. but i dont know if you need those for your inspection or not. also, what about the one for light and the wires for it. there is also the plastic behind the grill know one will ever see missing. is the roof rack bars off as well? floor mats? also can you put manual locks and windows in?
i was chuckling when streetrod mentioned the bars. i think you and i were talking about those this summer and how you needed them to get in and out lol

JD4242,

If I recall the EE hood isnt much lighter. It has a full sub frame under it, not a race weight hood.

My current tires weight 52 lbs piece (235/40/18) my (295/40/18) weighs 63 lbs...when I have the charger on my ex my pj (36/14.50/15) weighed in at over 140ish a piece, my street tires (33/12.50/15) weighed in at 68 I believe and it was never dyno on street tires but it alone knocked like 3 seconds off my street time..

I have the Nx protron kit tapped into my egr delete plate on my tb (5.0 75mm accufab tb)id like to replace it with a spray bar but I only plan to run a 35 to start with also

Also about the gas tank..if I recall only sports came with a skid plate in those years.id research this though because not 100%...id get ride of it and loop the driveshaft. .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pre 98 they didnt come with steel skid plates on transfer or gas tanks..get ride of them, your be fine ;)
fyi they sell for good money on here for people that dont have them and do 4x4 ;)

Back