djtof

Reaction score
City, State
France
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
Hello

I have a little problem.
It's possible to have a Explorer 96 V6 OHV without O2 Sensor?
Because I have a connector with a jump instead the O2 Sensor.

If I disconnect this connector, I don't have Check Engine or DTC code.
Maybe I don't need 02 sensor.

I don't have catalysor exhaust.

I have a lambda sensor inside exhaust for LPG installation but not connected on my car. Just connected on LPG ECM.
It have 3 wire, 2 White and 1 black, and Installed on passenger side.

It's possible?

Thanks for your reply

Greetings from france.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No I have OBDII. I checked with an ELM327 and Forscan

I don't have information about O2 Sensor.

I have a plug instead O2 sensor, and it's an original parts.
My car was imported from USA.

I know, in france, that after 1996 all cars need to have catalytic exhaust, and I don't have one in my Explorer.
So If I don't have, I don't need O2 sensor.
Maybe one guy have the same model like me.

Could you please say me if it's possible to have a Explorer without O2 Sensor?

If not I will buy a new O2 Sensor with good connector and I will install it.

Thanks

Hi

After some search in document from Explorer, I found the installation document about LPG System.
And it wrote that the O2 sensor was installed for LPG.

So my Explorer don't have O2 Sensor.

Maybe it's a modification from old user or it's original installation.

Hi,

At the moment, I install a body lift.
And I checked some things.

First I found all connector for O2 Sensors, X3, and all have a connector with Jump.
I confirm that I don't have catalysor.
I found canister, but it's not connected.

I have a special Ford Explorer?

I don't know.

Please help me.

Is your truck running ok?
Is there a check engine light on?
Are you able to pass vehicle inspection?

If everything is ok, leave it alone as there's nothing wrong.
You have a special truck, converted to run on LPG. Some engine sensors and electronics are different then our standard gasoline engines we run here in the USA.
Perhaps the company that converted the truck can better answer your questions regarding the LPG ECU and its associated sensors.

No I have OBDII. I checked with an ELM327 and Forscan
You don't have OBDII without O2 sensor.
You have the rest of the FORD points over their standard ECU network of sensors with an Data Link Connector as specified in OBDII - there was no need to create another one for export engines. They still needed those points to run the injected engine, it doesn't mean that it is OBDII compliant from emissions point of view.

sounds like this vehicle was imported w/out ODBII when new. maybe i'm wrong, but why would you need O2 sensors or a cat on an LPG converted vehicle?

Is your truck running ok?
Is there a check engine light on?
Are you able to pass vehicle inspection?

If everything is ok, leave it alone as there's nothing wrong.
You have a special truck, converted to run on LPG. Some engine sensors and electronics are different then our standard gasoline engines we run here in the USA.
Perhaps the company that converted the truck can better answer your questions regarding the LPG ECU and its associated sensors.

I don't have check engine light in my speedo.
My vehicule work correctly, just the idle sometimes I have misfire. I wait my coil pack.

LPG system was installed in France in 1998, and this system don't need to connect on some sensor.
Just O2 sensor, for LPG Idle, and for my EX it's a new O2 Sensor was installed
LPG ECU was connected to:
Coil pack to know RPM
Injectors to disable they when LPG are ON
And TPS Sensor.

Nothing else.

So it's not LPG installator which modify my EX.

SoNic67 said:
You don't have OBDII without O2 sensor.
You have the rest of the FORD points over their standard ECU network of sensors with an Data Link Connector as specified in OBDII - there was no need to create another one for export engines. They still needed those points to run the injected engine, it doesn't mean that it is OBDII compliant from emissions point of view.

Sorry, but my ECU is OBDII system, I have possibility to check ECU and all data with ELM327 and Forscan or ScanXL Pro or Scanmaster.
It's not a ALDL system, I know this protocol on my other 4x4, with a GM ECU.
My engine is OHV, so maybe this car was prepared for a race in US and after the race was cancelled. And this explorer was modify and sell like this.
I know it's possible to flash the ECU with a different program, and I know it's possible to cancel O2 sensor and some other sensor.

Please, let me know where is the ECU inside my car, I will check it and maybe read my EPROM inside.

koda2000 said:
sounds like this vehicle was imported w/out ODBII when new. maybe i'm wrong, but why would you need O2 sensors or a cat on an LPG converted vehicle?

About vehicule inspection, I have 1 defaut, it's the CO2 or Lambda.
I tried to do vehicule inspection, and my controller said that the CO2 is Correct in idle but Lambda not.
He tested with accelerator at half, and the CO2 was not good but lambda yes.

In france, all vehicule need to have Catalysor after 1996, and inspection need one to check CO2.
Mine don't have it, so the inspection was not good.

So, for futur I will have the same problem, because I don't have catalysor and O2 sensor, so my CO2 and Lambda Gaz will be not good.

If you want to see something on my Ex, please say me, I work on it today, I need to finish the body lift.

Bye

Like I said, you still have the OBDII network, but sure your vehicle is not OBDII compliant without catalytic converter and O2 sensors. O2 sensor adjust the ratio of fuel/air for the most economical gasoline use and minimal emisssions.
Your ECU was reprogrammed - probably when LPG system was installed.
You probably won't pass inspection like that.

PS: In US there are places (states, counties) where emission testing is not required and such vehicles can still be used.

Hi,

I know the utility for O2 Sensors, and I know how works ECU.
I did some Eprom for Lada Niva with GM ECU.

In france it's not possible that a LPG installator reprog ECU for LPG.
Because we need only some signal for LPG Ecu from 2 or 3 sensors.
I know LPG System.
About all O2 Sensors plugs, it's not a home made, it's Original parts.
And exhaust system are original too.
I will do some photos.

best guess someone modified the vehicle. ford never made a lpg explorer. so who ever installed the lpg system modified the explorer and most likely took the o2 and cat system out.

I know that Ford don't made LPG System.
Mine is a LOVATO, it's Italian.

The only one O2 Sensor have 3 wires, not 4, so it's not an original O2 Sensor from Ford.

Today I will do some photos to see plug and exhaust.
You will understand that it's not possible that guess do this modification in France.

The law for LPG, said that, the system don't modify Fuel system, so it's not possible that a workshop modify the Explorer to install LPG System.

See you later.

In US you cannot buy an vehicle (manufactured in 1996) without cat and O2 sensors or disconnected carbon canister. Disconnecting those sensors will trigger a few codes.

Somebody messed with your ECU programming. Maybe LPG conversion wasn't done in France.

Hi

I have all document for LPG modification, and it was did in France at 1998.
Documents say that it's LPG Installator which installed a new O2 Sensor for LPG ECU.

Hi

So after some repair, I checked the PCM.
And I have EEC-V with BID0.

On the web, I searched and I didn't find this BID0, I found BID1 and BID2
So I confirm that I have a special Ford Explorer Original, without catalysor and O2 Sensor.

I would like to read Eprom, but I don't know the good software to do that.
Maybe you can help me for that?

Thanks

Greetings from Venezuela, I have a 1998 explorer ohv, 4.0, ... 4x2 .. and this truck had no catalyst and oxygen sensor has not ....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back