• Register Today It's free!

Explorer xls 2002 transmission

Ex-XLS-Angel

Reaction score
City, State
Caguas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Hello, this is my first post i have been looking around the forum and glad to see their are some alot of helpfull tips around, well now to my problem i have recently purchased a used 2002 explorer xls and have noticed that when the transmission shifts from 3rd to 4th gear it kind of holds up for a second and then shifts or sometimes it shifts a little harder then it should is this a serious problem i havn't noticed any slipping or delays from parking to drive or reverse any advice would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be a shift solonoid...try to pull a code..

FWIW, I've had my '02 since it was new. It has the 4.6L V8. I've never been real happy with how smooth the transmission shifts. The dealer of course has always said that it was normal for the X. I've gotten used to it over the 6 years and rarely even think about it. The biggest thing I've noticed is that it tends to hold a gear longer than is right at times and I have to let off on the gas just a touch to get it to shift. It happens the most when I'm either accelerating very easy or very hard. With gas being what it is today, most of the time it is accelerating easy. ;)

yeah mines going back in tomorrow and I'm gonna mention that it seems to hang

Thanks for the replys i guess i will take to get hooked up to a scanner to see if it gives up any codes and if not ill just keep driving it i have only had the explorer for about a week the dealer where i bought it says that what i noticed in the shifting is normal in these models as long as theres no slipping or delays when i go from park to drive or reverse its ok :scratch:

Thanks for the replys i guess i will take to get hooked up to a scanner to see if it gives up any codes and if not ill just keep driving it i have only had the explorer for about a week the dealer where i bought it says that what i noticed in the shifting is normal in these models as long as theres no slipping or delays when i go from park to drive or reverse its ok :scratch:

always get a second opinion!!!!

mine does the same thing

I have a 02 XLT and it does the same thing between 2nd and 3rd, hesitates to shift then shifts hard. Had tranny filter and tranny oil changed which seems to have helped it a little, but still does it and has for the last year and a half, ever since I bought it.

2002 seemed to be a bad year as far as solenoids going bad or hanging up. Sounds like the symptoms you describe seem to point to that being it.

I don't like the way these trannies shift...I prefer a quick and somewhat pronounced gearshift, not a feeling of the tranny "oozing" into the next gear. I can't remember how the '02s shift, but my '04 has a feeling of the computer stepping on an imaginary clutch pedal between gearshifts. You can feel the power drop off and then come back as the next gear is engaged. Mine has never presented a problem, but it's just not what I like. If there was ever a re-flash that would tighten up the gearshifts, I'd be the first one to get it done.

I don't like the way these trannies shift...I prefer a quick and somewhat pronounced gearshift, not a feeling of the tranny "oozing" into the next gear.

That is a pretty good description of how my '02 shifts. I don't like it either, and never have.

Back