ExplorerEB96's X under the knife | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ExplorerEB96's X under the knife

Re: Rear Torsion Bar Mounting

Originally posted by ExplorGM
That being the case, did you have to have the new parts welded on, or did they figure out a bolt on attachment?

That price is unbelievable! $420 for the kit? Including rear springs? That still leaves plenty of $$ for the driveshaft and skidplates.

Thanks for the great write up and pictures Jeff.

The superlift kit is a bolt on. The trailmaster isn't bolt on for us early 2nd gens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

Thanks to you both for the answers!
One more... Estimated amount of time to allow for a driveway install?
Nice Xs!

with 1 person helping?? Prob around 20 hours or so. Thats drinking, eating, drinking, working, taking a break, getting snowed on, stopping, getting rained on,.....oh...sorry...that was just my expierience. ;)

Originally posted by Lifted95X
with 1 person helping?? Prob around 20 hours or so. Thats drinking, eating, drinking, working, taking a break, getting snowed on, stopping, getting rained on,.....oh...sorry...that was just my expierience. ;)

You forgot drinking, having someone trip and step in oil pan while snowing, eating pizza, drinking, removing lift from other truck....

By yourself doing this the first time around it took me several days, I forget how many, but I found stuff I was missing, if you read my writeup (follow sig) you will know ahead of time what parts you will need in addition to the superlift kit and you can do it in a weekend, getting up early and working till dark....

Originally posted by taxxman2k
having someone trip and step in oil pan while snowing

Oh..thats right! lol...poor Tim.

did you have to hammer/heat up the stock crossmember to make room for the dropped differential?

no modifications required. this is a bolt on kit.

And you don't need the toprsion bar puller, you can do the same thing with a 2 jaw puller from the local autoparts store for a few bucks. And it has many other uses such as pulling your hubs off to put on the new knuckles.

Re: Rear Torsion Bar Attachment

Originally posted by ExplorGM
I might have missed this in your thread, but is your rear torsion bar attachment point bolt (98+) on or welded? Does the kit address this? I have a 95.
Thanks
Rick

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I was getting seared at the beach :D. From what I know, the kit will not fit a 95 X. There are some differences between the '95 and the '96 when it comes to the torsion bar attachment points. If you check their site, it's only listed for '96 and up, and yes, it's bolt on completely.

From what I understand, us 95s have our rear torsion bar brackets welded on, and newer ones are just bolted

Question. In looking at the photos the rear of the torsion bars are not very apparent. Did the kit drop the rear torsion mounts 4"? It would be nice if they figured out a way to keep those things from hanging so low and blowing the clearance.

They have its called ditch the torshion bars and use coilovers.......

of course its about 4x's the $$$$ I think :)

Anythings possible when you take it down to just frame and rack and pinion

Re: Re: Rear Torsion Bar Attachment

Originally posted by JDraper

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I was getting seared at the beach :D. From what I know, the kit will not fit a 95 X. There are some differences between the '95 and the '96 when it comes to the torsion bar attachment points. If you check their site, it's only listed for '96 and up, and yes, it's bolt on completely.
Klowns and Lifted95X both have 4" superlifts on their 95s. As I understand it, no modification is needed for it to fit on a 95.

Re: Re: Re: Rear Torsion Bar Attachment

Originally posted by Jason_25
Klowns and Lifted95X both have 4" superlifts on their 95s. As I understand it, no modification is needed for it to fit on a 95.

Correct, this kit is a direct bolt on for a 95 as well.

Pictures

Does anyone have pictures of the rear mounting point after installation, or picture of the installation process using the superlift kit? How do they get around the welded unit?
Thanks!

it piggybacks the torsion bar mounts. You do not need to take them off for the superlift. For the trailmaster you must grind them off.

Originally posted by GJarrett
Question. In looking at the photos the rear of the torsion bars are not very apparent. Did the kit drop the rear torsion mounts 4"? It would be nice if they figured out a way to keep those things from hanging so low and blowing the clearance.

Yep, it drops the t-bar mounts 4". It would definitely be nice if someone came up with a kit that had "offset" torsion bars for the X, but one doesn't exist as of yet.

Originally posted by Jason_25

Well, learn something new each day. According to the guy I talked to at Superlift, it's not supposed to fit a '95. Guess they don't know their own product too well. :rolleyes: However, I did have to buy the newer torsion bar isolator seats. The 95 and 96 X's don't have seats, they rely on a small rubber strip glued to the t-bar to isolate it from the frame. The newer ones have a square bushing instead.

More pix. The truck is now sitting on 34 x 10.5-15 Super Swamper's too :D. The job is almost done. I need to install a new half shaft on the passenger's side and get it aligned before it's complete. Found out that the half shaft is binding at full extension, and I think this is what cracked the axle housing!!! At the stock height, with the factory shocks, it didn't bind, but with the lift on and the extended shocks, it locks up at full droop. I tried to rotate it by hand when I installed it, and I could feel it lock and watch the axle housing try to rotate. Driver's side was fine, but passenger's side is fubar.

NOTE TO ALL DOING A SUSPENSION LIFT!!!! MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR HALF SHAFT ROTATION AT FULL DROOP BY HAND BEFORE YOU DRIVE THE VEHICLE!!!

Attachments

• done1.jpg
    done1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 2,714

pix 2

Attachments

• done2.jpg
    done2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 785

pix 3

Attachments

• done3.jpg
    done3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 775

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pix 4

Attachments

• done4.jpg
    done4.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 774

Back