Exploring my Explorer... an adventure in frustration. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exploring my Explorer... an adventure in frustration.

Mudd1959

Reaction score
City, State
Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
OK. Getting frustrated!!! 1994 Explorer. Have been suffering rough intermittent idle, surging through all speeds up to 110kph, popping in intake manifold. NO ERROR CODES using code reader at all. Checked several times now. Have done all the obvious. New fuel filter. Pump and sender new two summers ago. Fuel pressure good. Have resealed intake plenum and fuel rail (injectors too) while doing valve cover gaskets. Found a couple vacuum hose leaks, repaired those. Found a bit of fuel-oil mixed and sour in fuel pressure regulator. Replaced regulator. MAF sensor has been thoroughly cleaned using CRC Sensorsafe cleaner. Idle Air Control valve cleaned thoroughly. EGR is OK and vacuum control that operates it new from Ford a year and half ago as is the DPFE. Air filter new. Vehicle is hard on fuel, bucks and stumbles worst when cold and under a load climbing hills, better when warm but the driveability just isn't there. Strangely, seems better on warm humid days and worse on cool dryer days. Suggestions PLEASE!!! Hair on top getting thin from all the pulling!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spark plugs? That is the one thing I don't see mentioned here that you replaced.

Agree with mrq didnt see plugs mentioned also i had same prob and coil was not working right .
Posted via Mobile Device

Plugs

Less than 20,000K on Autolite Double Platinum plugs.

Replace them. I don't understand, nor care about all the hype surrounding platinum plugs lasting forever. You need to replace them at least once a year. I try to do mine every 6 months. It doesn't hurt and you can tell what's going on inside your engine from the used plugs. Check your wires while you are at it as well.

re: plug replacement

Well guys, you were correct. I replaced those platinum plugs and the last of my problems went away. No more miss, shudder, etc. Power level is increased as well. The appearance of these plugs was fine, tho two had an ever so slightly darker appearance on the porcelain tips. So what the H E double hockey sticks is wrong with these platinum plugs. You pay a premium price for them and get less use out of them than the old copper cored plugs. Seems like a collossal rip-off to me. Either way, I am happy with the way the truck runs now. Thanks to all for the input.

Good to hear. These engines like only a specific type of plug. If its not in the right heat range you get the problems you were having. Its also possible that if you had somebody do the plugs they gapped them incorrectly. Should be between .052 and.056. I usually set mine to .054.

I buy $2.68 NGK's and have no problems.Plugs are cheap and they can be bad and not show it as you have learned,glad you got it fixed.:p:

With these explorers its always the obvious easy fix,Ive wasted money fixing stuff that didnt need it and it turn out to just be a bad relay or something simple

Back