Extended cranking issue

stroj

Reaction score
City, State
Stevens Point, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Hi guys
I am new to the forum and just wanted to say I am very impressed so far.

I recently purchased a 2002 Ford sport trac, 4.0 v6, 166k, which I am pretty happy with so far. I am having an issue with it when it is cold or has sat overnight, it seems to crank for 5-7 seconds before it starts, sometimes it doesn't start on the first attempt but then starts immediately on the second attempt. This happens when I turn the key from the off position directly to the start position. I have noticed that if I turn the key to the run position wait 5-10 seconds, then turn it to the start position it starts right up every time, no matter if it is cold or not. It seems that when the vehicle sits for an extended period of time it loses pressure in the fuel lines, then when I turn the key to run for 5-10 seconds and have my window down I can here the fuel pump come on it pressurizes the lines and then will start right up.

I guess my question is, Where am I losing the pressure and what can I do to fix this problem?
Also I have read a lot of info on seafoam decarbs through the intake and by adding seafoam to the gas tank and into the crank case as long as you change the oil and filter before 100 miles, is this a good idea?

Thanks
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my

Sorry about the double post, my phone won't let me edit, but anyway in my opinion I wouldn't worry about it, lines just loose pressure after they sit. When you hold the key in run you hear the fuel pump priming the system witch is normal, I usually let it prime before I crank just because it starts so much faster.

i actually had somewhat of this problem a few yrs back where i would have to crank my ex quite a few times to get it to start...but after it started and was warm it started up every time...

i took it to a mechanic to have him check it out...i thought it was my fuel pump but he found out it was the relay to the fuel pump...he put a new one in and it worked...

maybe the relay was shorting out and causing that but ever since i replaced that relay its been good...

just a thought i guess...goodluck with the fix :thumbsup:

EDIT: the weather was cold outside...forgot to state this

My Taurus does this ever since I replaced fuel pump due to an occasional return valve issue.... It's not anything I would worry about just know how to start it like stated

If it ain't broke don't fix it...

Bump

Back