Extended Radius Arm idea

gavin

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
got this from a guy on a local board, who did this with his 76 EB. It will also work on all TTB suspensions (of course)
It replaces the rad arm bushings with a johnny joint, eliminating the bind from the bushings. I know it will come out to be a bit more expensive, but might be worth it.

"When I extended the radius arms on my 78 bronco I used a lower arm from a Rubicon Express TJ lift with the johnny joint. I cut the rubber bushing end off, which leaves the arm about 14" long and slid the arm over the stud at the end of the stock radius arm and welded it on. Used CJ shackle reversal brackets as radius arm mounts on the frame. Works great, ramps about 100 better, around 800 or so and the johnny joint is rebuildable and greasable. I'll try to get a picture to put up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to see those pics, that would be good.

I still haven't seen 'em yet..
but this may be similar..

dcp_0126.jpg

Tom Campbell over at RRORC used heim joints. They might have similar frame-mounts.

I have been interested in running a johnny joint at the end of a radius arm for a long time. I have even been in contact with Currie about this project and they tell me that they used a 2.5" joint on an F150 with very positive results.

It is good to hear of someone that saw the same Jeep arms that I did and came to the same conclusions. I think it would be the best of all worlds - control and flex.

Have you any more experience with long-term wear patterns or any other bad behavior?

Thanks for your post.

unfortunately, I didn't do it.
That was a suggestion I got from a local webboard (Alaska). The guy that did it, said he hasn't had any problems with it, and has lasted. No clue how long, though, but apparently been a while.

Thanks.

Anyone out there actually running a home-built johnny-jointed radius arm on a gen 1 TTB?

I am still interested in hearing how the street manners are with this setup. I do have to drive my truck. Perhaps some day I can trailer it like the Jeep guys do...

Naaaah :p

Even with an extended radius arm, the gains will be marginal at best unless you are running cut and turned beams, a better steering setup, longer shocks and some kind of coil that actually compresses (God knows the TTB coils don't).

On a stock arm it would be useless.

A part of my plan is to do the cut and turned beams. I am looking for modest gains - say in the 15" range, and I totally agree with you about the flexability of the TTB springs.

I am investigating the Black Diamond springs, as well as some early bronco offerings, which show the most promise for a dual purpose truck.

Any thoughts out there about either?

The Wild Horses 3.5" Variable Rate coil when used with a stock Ranger/Explorer/BII coil bucket in an SAS application nets appx. 5-6" of lift and a large gain in flex.

The coil bucket needs to be modified for EB coils for sure.

Now, when used in a TTB setup, you will need to modify the lower mount as well since the diameter of the coil is larger.

Thanks for that. I have heard great things about Wild Horses springs for the EB. A lot of people on thepirate site are in favor of them.

When you say that the coil bucket needs modifications, are you talking about making it bigger in diameter or what? I know that the EB springs are a bit bigger around, and I am getting ready to put in the F-250 shock mounts next to my coil buckets. They will be welded together for strength and if I need another modification to the coil bucket, I might need to consider that first before I start chopping and welding.

I believe some of the tabs on the B2/Ranger upper coil bucket will need bent out, so that the coil will fit (due to it's larger diameter)
may also need to drill a hole to use the retainer tab, or, once you get the coil in, bend the tabs back to help hold the coil in place.

and yeah... all the coil sprung SAS B2/Ranger/Explorer swaps I've seen use either Duff 3.5" VR or the Wild Horses 3.5" VR coils.

Back