• Register Today It's free!

Extended Service Plan??

viking37

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
The service coverage on my 2002 Explorer XLt will run out in October. Just received an offer from Ford for an extended plan. The premium plan is $1700 for another three years up to 75000 miles. Have any or you folks bought this plan. Seems a lot of money but if a motor, tranny or drive train goes this will pay for itself. At $100 deductable has any one got any thoughts on this? This is a great forum and I for one have learned a lot here. Thanks in advance. Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm... Well I bought my Ex with 68K on it and no major problems occurred until over 100K. I think at this stage in the mileage game, that'd be at least $1500 down the drain for you. If Ford had offered me one at 100K though, I'd be all over it... Tranny, O2 sensors, FPR, EGR, tailgate, muffler, and driver's door all crapped out between 100K and 130K.

Well, that depends on how many miles you have on the X and how many miles you plan on putting on it.

I bought my X with 60K and decided to go with the Extended Warranty (2 years, 24k miles). I thought it was a waste until about 10k before it was up, since then I've had about $4k worth of work done on the X under warranty, all stuff I wouldn't be able to afford if I had had to pay for it out of pocket.

The thing to keep in mind, I bought my X used, so I didn't know the condition and a lot of the problems were probably caused by improper maintenance from the previous owner.

The way I look at it is this, if you can spare the $1700 now, can you spare $1000 here or $500 there a year or two from now if something breaks and you have to fix it. Just my .02.

See if you can get them to come down on the price.

Some of the insurance companies will adjust the price to sell you the policy but stay away from Warranty Gold like the plague. I lost $1,000 when their underwriter went under. No warranty, no gold, no nothing. :fire:

Thanks all. I just got back from Ford and got the ESP. I will be pulling a PU with a weight of 3000 lbs. I do have the trailer package but I wanted to make sure I was covered for anything. Better safe than sorry. Ken

Back