• Register Today It's free!

Extending the TTB's

aphsu92XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Davis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I have a 5.5" Superlift now, with the kit drop brackets, and read in the latest edition of 4wheeler(i think) that Baja Racing Products manufactures the twin traction beams extended an inch or 1.5 in. for increased wheel travel and the ability to use 4" coils without the necessity of drop brackets. My main questions are, what do the drop brackets consist of, and would it be possible to put more lift via bigger coils if I extended the TTB's. Thanks for the help.

Well, if you used cut traction beams, they will give you 4" of lift with NO drop brackets and new 4" coils. So, if you used the beams, and the 6" drop brackets, then you're looking at a total of 10" of lift w/ 10" coils, then you'd probably have to get a spring over, and some OME springs, and some 2" blocks, or some add-a-leafs, or some shackles, although the idea of lifting an explorer 10" with stock axles is extrememly stupid, I have heard that 35's will do a job on the ball joints, and then if you are going even bigger, then you are just askign to pay $400 for new ball joints all the time. But you could go with some cut beams, and some 2, or 3" drop brackets for about 6-7" of lift, and then do a spring overand some shackles.

But you say that you have the 5.5" lift with the drop brackets, & you don't know what they are? In case you don't, your front end is a ttb(twin traction beam) front end, and there are 2 beams that run opposite each other, and they mount on these brackets that are on the frame, and when you lift it up you can't just put coils on there because the camber would be wayyyyyy off, so you drop the ends of these traction beams, and then it keeps the truck alignable, but these re-done beams, are either cut and are out are more of an angle, to keep the truck alignable, or the beams are "bent" which is sort of better because it is stronger than just welding in a peice of metal, but both will work, but the "limit" is 4" or else it gets it too extreme for the axles.

Back