Exterior modifications with PICTURES! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exterior modifications with PICTURES!

Bkmcinty

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I didn't waste anytime modding my new explorer to the way I wanted it to look. I got the car about 3 weeks ago and have done the following mods myself. Please ask if you have any questions about what I have done and I will try my best to help you out! Sorry the car is super filthy I hit some dirt roads fishing the other day and haven't washed it since.

First I had to get rid of the ugly orange reflectors in the headlights:

imagejpg1_zpsd2be1124.jpg

Then I tinted the tail lights:

imagejpg3_zps17f56b3f.jpg

imagejpg6_zps2e62bc47.jpg

Then I plasti dipped all the chrome on the car including the rear emblem and strip along the hatch that says "explorer":

imagejpg4_zps3235a021.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsf8a4e40e.jpg

I also plasti dipped the wheels leaving the lug nuts un painted:

imagejpg2_zps462c4cb5.jpg

imagejpg9_zps8202e339.jpg

My next project will be to tint the side markers on the mirrors as mine are yellowing and collecting moisture inside the lens:

imagejpg7_zps69a8fd62.jpg

I will also be either color matching the door handles or painting them black. Plasti dip will just not hold up on the handles as much use as they get on a daily basis. In the pictures you can also see that I plasti dipped the chrome strips on the bottom of the doors! Project black out is in full effect!! Enjoy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you share how you modified the front turn signal from amber to clear?

yeah, how did you modify your front amber headlight

Looks good. Ya I'd like to do the turn signals on mine also. Will you be doing anything about the blue emblems or red reflectors on back bumper?

I might just paint the rear red reflectors back or tint them with VHT nightshades. I have looked into black front and rear emblems but at $50 a piece they will stay Blue for the meantime! I took apart the headlights to tint the reflectors with VHT. I baked them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 250 degrees. After they are apart it's pretty self explanatory just remove the reflector and tint it with spray tint.

I might just paint the rear red reflectors back or tint them with VHT nightshades. I have looked into black front and rear emblems but at $50 a piece they will stay Blue for the meantime! I took apart the headlights to tint the reflectors with VHT. I baked them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 250 degrees. After they are apart it's pretty self explanatory just remove the reflector and tint it with spray tint.

Nice ride you got there sir!

Normally after you smoked the front turn signals I would have recommended that you paint the chrome headlight housing trim black. But the chrome on the grill and door handles seems to keep everything well balance. Clean look!

Yup I do the same mods for all of my vehicles... looks SO much better!!

NICE RIDE!

10304773_10152046928585997_8567626431041309222_n.jpg

Keep in mind that there are laws regarding reflectors. I believe the reflectors are a safety item.

Peter

"The headlights came that way"

My main reason for posting what I did was that there seemed to be talk about removing or painting them.

Also, please try and keep posted photos to a maximum of 800X600 pix.

Peter

Back