Exterior rear (gate?) door body panel question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exterior rear (gate?) door body panel question

crfuller1958

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Hi guys. I have a question about the body panel piece, on the rear/gate of the vehicle. A 2002 Explorer XLT. Hard to explain...I'm talking about the body panel that the rear wiper attaches to...the panel just below the rear lift-up window. How is that panel attached to the vehicle? Mine is kind of separating on one side, at the top edge, from what I'm assuming is metal underneath. Is it screwed/bolted on? Or is there an adhesive strip of some kind toward the edges? Looks like, from what I can see, there is almost a rubber gasket type of thing, that goes around the edge. Any advice/info on how to fix this? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you talking about the panel with the ford emblem on it?

It's just on there with an Adhesive. My dad's came off of his 02 as well. He still hasn't gotten it back on. Not sure what to use. The Gasket like stuff is the adhisive. (I think) This is the third Time I've heard it happen. Maybe it's a factory thing that they messed up. Good luck on what ever you do.

I believe this is the plastic panel attached to the bottom of the glass hatch with the ford emblem in it.

I think I know what you are talking about. On a hot day, there is about 8 inches that will pop out from the glass. About 1/8 of an inch. I noticed on a colder day or early in the morning its really minimal. But as soon as the sun hits it, it will "pucker" out.

I think this panel is glued on.

This panel has been a problem area for the 3rd gens. weather it be cracking or coming off. Mine cracked and its gonna cost me a pretty penny to fix it. As others have said, I think that the panel is glued on.

Thanks for the responses, and especially thank you to rrgone for the link to the TSB. I apologize for my bad description. I don't know why I didn't think to say it was the panel with the Ford emblem. That's exactly the panel I meant. The wiper is above that. DOH! I see that this is a known problem, and by the looks of it...a real PITA! I can't wait until the temp finally gets above zero here in Mn, so I can mess around with it. Follow up question: Is there any damage being done inside there, from the melting snow/water/moisture? Or is it basically just running out the bottom? Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Back