External ATF cooler question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

External ATF cooler question

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I am planning on installing an additional tranny cooler on mt 99 SOHC.

Anyone added one on that year?

It appears that there is very little room in front of the radiator. Anyone know what size will fit in there?

Thanks.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think there is too much difference between the 2000 and the 99.
The tranny cooler I got by B&M it pretty small.
Once I get off my lazy butt and install it it will go just below the current aux tranny cooler. It is likely I will need to build my own brackets but no biggie.

Any way the B&M is small and affordable.
Summit has them.

I just installed my tranny cooler on my 2000 V-8. I know we have different engines and all but the install was very very easy. Especially if your vehicle comes with a separate tranny cooler. Now my tranny fluid goes through the normal big radiator then goes through my first stock tranny cooler, and then drops down even lower into my aux tranny cooler. I noticed a big difference in the temperature of the tranny pan after driving it hard for a little while. The reason i said it would be even easier if you already have a dedicated tranny cooler is because most likely it is already plumbed with just rubber hose instead of the metal lines you would have to tap into. I installed mine onto the same bracket the other cooler was attached to. just inverted so it is beneath it. Now i got even more peace of mind when i race through the gears. If i actually decided to drive it normal this tranny would probably last alot longer now that i have that and my shift kit in. As long as i didnt beat it up like i do. lol. But you cannot really go easy on a car when you race it. Some people never let their V-8 X's get past 4000 rpm's. I get mine to 5000 all the time. But now that the shift kit is in it doesnt take as long to shift so now i only see 4700 rpm's before the tranny finishes the shift. Either way i hope the earlier part of my post helps.

Originally posted by rocket 5979
I get mine to 5000 all the time.

How is your milage? LOL...I like to get it up to 5000 every here and there myself, I just like the feeling of getting thrown into your seat...

Back on topic, Al, I would recomend the B&M one from summit, they have a variety of different sizes, its just a matter of finding what size you need...:)

A different approach.

I have been contemplating a third cooler and I have ran into , the no place left with good air flow delima. The solution, or at least another option is the smaller coolers with built in cooling fans and thermastats. I have found a few in Stock Car Products and Permacool has a few. That would free up a few more locations. And I have been thinking about a frame mounted setup back near the transmission. I hope this helps aldive, Good luck.

I just got the biggest stacked plate tranny cooler i could find. cost me about $45 or so. Works great! I have 49000 miles on it right now by the way vairking.

whats different with the newer models than the older models? i had plenty of room... mine is under the external cooler and can be seen through the airdam and bumper holes.

Originally posted by james t
whats different with the newer models than the older models? i had plenty of room... mine is under the external cooler and can be seen through the airdam and bumper holes.

How is it attached?

with the little ties through the radiator that came with it. i have looked at were its mounted, and i can build a bracket there to get it off the radiator. ill try and get some pics of it as is today.

It won't hurt the tranny if I get the biggest tranny cooler I can fit, will it?

Originally posted by james t
with the little ties through the radiator that came with it. i have looked at were its mounted, and i can build a bracket there to get it off the radiator. ill try and get some pics of it as is today.

Hey James if we got the same cooler setup then the stock tranny cooler should be on the left side right? Heck all i did to get it off of the radiator and get it spaced out far is drilled a little hole in the mount plate in the new cooler and just took off my old one and with the same screws and holes in the car just attached it so that i could run it on down to the next one. Here is my ghetto diagram.

Attachments

• tranny cooler setup.jpg
    tranny cooler setup.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 194

All on the passenger side. I forget exactly how the lines went to hook up to the hard lines. But i do know that whether it was left or right ones that the in line was hooked up to the pressurized side so it could pump up there and then basically trickle down through the both of them easier. Well hope this helps. I think it is the best place to mount the auxiliary cooler because it is out of the way of the other cooler and the radiator, let alone spaced out about 4 to 5 inches from the radiator. I noticed that my tranny pan feels noticeaby cooler and also it seems my engine temp guage never gets quite as high now either. though barely worth noting. Just make sure you add about 1 quart of tranny fluid plus how much ever you lose in the hookup process. If it is done with some thinking you wont even lose 1/8th quart. But i decided to flow test it all so i left the bottom hose off and turned the engine over for a few seconds. Tranny fluid all over the place!!! Well it flows good!!! Passed my flow test with flying colors. lol. So i had to add about 2 total quarts. hehe.

Have you considered divorciong the cooler from the radiator?

A cooler thats mounted somewhere other than in front of the rad will cool better and also allow the radiator run cooler.........

You wont see many race trucks with coolers stacked in front of radiators....

So maybe a totally different location with an aux fan is the answer..

Since you dont go off road you could mount it under the engine's serpentine system at an angle or really just about anywhere...

I ditched my AC (gonna chop the top) and I run nothing but a class A motorhome tranny cooler (its like 12" x 16", crazy big) and the aluminum Explorer radiator. With the 180 stat my truck rarely sees 200 degrees (might be a little cool for you since you are looking for better milage, not worse) even when towing.......

Yes my cooler is zip tied to the radiator for now, but not for long......

Being that my cooler is about 5 or so inches away from my radiator it cools the tranny and still allows plenty of air to get behind it to cool the radiator too. Like i said i noticed even a slight drop off of the engine temperature after i installed mine. Plus i felt the tranny after running from base to home one day and then the other day same conditions, same traffic but with the cooler mounted. The tranny pan stayed alot cooler which meant that the tranny was that much cooler too. Overall i am confident that where i have the tranny cooler at now is efficient and will not interfere with my engines cooling systems at all. Maybe if i decide to get a race prepped AOD-E i will go ahead and get a really big fan driven cooler and run it elsewhere, but that will be after the 347, heads, intake, and everything else. So basically put i will be having to get REAL SERIOUS to put anything else on my tranny for cooling purposes. I do think though that the ziptie method kind of sucks. I dont even know why the makers put them in the kits for the coolers. I saw the ties in mine and i was like i dont think so. So i just took a good look at things and decided this was the best way for what i want.

Back