"Extinct" AC Hoses and AC freon - 1997 Mazda B4000/Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Extinct" AC Hoses and AC freon - 1997 Mazda B4000/Ranger

cobrajocky

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mazda B-4000 Xtr Cab
It's getting hot in Southern California!! And I was told by a couple mechanics that no one makes all the AC hoses for old Mazda B series/Ford Ranger PuPs as I have. The AC hoses are all deteriorating (I only have 98k miles!) and the Coolant has leaked over the last few years to the point all I get is "cool air".

My "Ranger" is a 1997 Mazda B4000SE ExtraCab (fold down "jump seats"), 4.0L V6, Auto Trans, 2WD, Long Bed. Except for the fenders and grill, it's an equivalent Ranger.

So, where do I find pre-made to fit exact AC Hoses (all of them)? Do I order Ranger Hoses or for some odd reason were the Madza trucks different?

I's like to do the hose replacements myself, is this something a moderately competent motor wrencher can do?

Last - Temporarily,. what AC refrigerant is compatible with what was used in these 97's so I can do a short temp refill until I find the hose kits?

Thanks for the help / advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still no help.

Everything under the hood should be identical to a same year Ranger.
Look through the stickied threads at the top of this section, lots of good info on repair and converting your A/C system.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Thanks for the reply, but I know the Mazda B's are the same as a Ranger (same factory, same assembly line) but that doesn't tell me where to find AC hose assemblies, since there are none for Rangers from the late 90's either according to the mechanic shops I've stopped at.

Also doesn't help with what AC Coolant number/type that's in my truck as stock .... R?? what and what can I use that is compatible?
I've never changed it or replenished it since the truck was new (only have 98k miles). I'm looking for a temp refill until I find hoses, not a conversion.

Hoping to hear from someone that's actual done this and has either a late 90's Ranger V6 4.0L or the Mazda.

Bump Bump .... anybody gonna help?? Need specifics on replacement AC hoses, where to get correct ones (the one's shown at online stores don't look like mine at all)

Also, do I use R134a refrigerant? (was that the original coolant?)

No way are the hoses extinct

Rock Auto lists both hoses for the Ranger, only the larger hose assembly for the B4000 but the two will use the same bits.

And yes, R134a was the factory spec refrigerant.

Another possible path is getting a hydraulic hose shop to rebuild your current hoses. May work out less expensive.

No way are the hoses extinct

Rock Auto lists both hoses for the Ranger, only the larger hose assembly for the B4000 but the two will use the same bits.

And yes, R134a was the factory spec refrigerant.

Another possible path is getting a hydraulic hose shop to rebuild your current hoses. May work out less expensive.

No one seems to have the hose assemble that's on the drivers-side of the AC system (see attached picture prev post), no one including Rock Auto has a hose that look anything like mine (which is OEM stock). I don't know what the nomenclature is for that Hose side assemble, think it's the Bleed side (not fill side which is on the other side of the Engine.

Anyways, I'm beginning to think the only option is to have either a specialized AC shop or a hydraulic hose shop do as you said, make a custom build. I've had several mechanics suggest that too when they also found no Retail source for AC hoses for my model or any Ranger that year bracket too.

With all the Rangers and Mazda B3000/B4000's on the road still (thousands here in CA), can't believe no one is making these simple and crucial AC parts!!

Thanks for the reply, and info on the R134a. BTW - have you ever used R134a with LEAK SEAL?? Does it work?

The leak seal additives, be it in the can with R134a or in it's own can MIGHT work, but I'd not put money on it.

The flex hoses and o-ring joints are really tough to seal if they start leaking and even on the "hard" parts, the leak sealants are a hit or (mostly) miss thing.

Changing the hoses is something that can be done DIY -- but, you'll need a manifold gauge set and a vacuum pump to do the job. Some auto parts stores have them in their loan-a-tool selection.

I'm missing the picture of your hose(s) so I can't compare what is listed as being there to what really is. There should only be two hose assemblies, one with the compressor in the middle and the other much smaller and shorter between the condenser and air box. You description suggests your Mazda has three -- one from the condenser to the air box, the suction from the air box (well, accumulator) and compressor and the third from the compressor to the condenser. Definitely not a typical Ford configuration for the era.

So, you might be looking at getting your current hoses rebuilt -- probably the easiest answer for a hard to find hose.

Back