• Register Today It's free!

Extra coolant sensor hole?

mrjody

Reaction score
City, State
como
Year, Model & Trim Level
98/00 xlt rangers
Anyone know what this is? It is a ported lower.. I just don't remember when I took it off and.sent it in to be ported if it was there, or the porter drilled it for a foxbody application..
Driver side..

20201014_142545.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there should not be a hole there

there should not be a hole there
OK J... I was assembling yesterday and had no connection for that.. the ported must have drilled and tapped for a foxbody IAT. No biggie.Ill put a brass plug in there. THANKS!

at least he tapped it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NITROUS??????

Make sure you use thread sealant LMFAO not kidding
I don't even use teflon tape anymore..........with diesels the teflon can let loose and clog your stuff up so only thread sealant for me

That's funny, they drilled it without you asking to, cool.

I'm going to send off another intake set to the Facebook guy, for his stage 2 porting. It should be good for a high compression(regular gas) 306 with 235cfm heads. I won't need the engine for a work vehicle any more, but I want to build the thing and see how it does(my idea of a mild 306 build(not high dollar heads and OTC cam etc)). I won't be racing it, it'll be a street engine for the Explorer or my Ranchero as a test engine before a well built 351(.060 over 302 with CHI heads).

Yes... The Facebook dude is the man for port work.. trust me on that..
Without going into detail on the other "porter".. its pathetic! $400 for basically sanding down the casting ... RIPOFF!!!
But this is behind the scenes that everyone doesn't see..👍

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

Yes, I have one that I had done on the way to our resident powder coating expert here. The porting looks okay, but I don't think it's improved a ton over stock.

For a head flow of 190cfm, a stock GT40 or P head, the stock intake is very good. But most heads people swap to are 235cfm on the low side, and many popular heads push 270cfm and more. The GT40 intake is too small for those, but if one can be ported to reach 275-300cfm, then it's a very good choice for a moderate rpm build.

I'd like a 5500rpm shift point, maybe 6k if the rockers were shaft rockers. We'll see, I'd also like to build a stroker Cleveland now that I have an extra Ranchero, if someone bought the recently built 4V that's in it, and the newly rebuilt C6, together.

Well.. between you and I and others on this forum.. here is results....

Attachments

• 20200616_200649.jpg
    20200616_200649.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 83

I like that, which will be good for your stroker. For a 306 those lower ports are likely too big. The upper is very hard to port thoroughly and matching the port sizes is very important. I'd like them to do as much as they can with the upper, and keep the port sizes evenly growing from the upper, then through the lower. I'll see what he says he can do over the Winter.

and tell him to stop drilling non approved holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no ASSUMING

After doing some.more looking around.. seems some are factory tapped for that...
Not sure why an explorer would have that... maybe something to do with information center??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201016-083511_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016-083511_eBay.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 69

The 96-01 Explorers all have the IAT in the air inlet hose. But every 302 from the 80's to 1995 have that hole in the #5 intake port. It began with EFI in about 1984, and if a 1996 Explorer had it, it should be a swapped part. They made very few GT40 intakes before the Explorer, that was the three 302 Cobra engines, 93-95's. My friend has a spare 95 Cobra engine, and I plan to get the GT40 heads to rebuild for my 98 project. I should get him to sell the roller rockers from it, people like those.

Back