Extremely Annoying Whistle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extremely Annoying Whistle

leetz

2wd All-Star
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Florida (School) Va.Beach, VA (Home) Beaufort, N.C. (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
For the past year my explorer has been making an extremely annoying whistle noise. It is not the woooooo train horn noise that is stickied above. It is a very high pitched whistle. I didn't notice it as much before because my tires and front suspension made a ton of noise. Now that I have a new front suspension and tires all I hear is the whistling. It only happens under slight acceleration. It starts in the 35-40 range then again around 55-60. The noise will go away instantly if I take my foot of the accelerator. It does not make the noise when I'm idle. It does not make the noise If I gun it. I replaced the entire IAC last week and that did not do anything for the noise. I have cleaned the KKM airfilter and oiled it, did nothing. A good example would be for some reason I have to slow down to 40 on the interstate.... then when climbing back to 60 MPH it will definetly do the whistle. I have searched and searched through the forum posts and it seems many people who had my issued never resolved it. Does anybody have the noise besides me?Has anyone fixed the noise? Please Help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that noise is pretty common with low restriction air intakes--mine does it also. It almost sounds like a turbo charger spooling up.

I was used to that intake whistle noise....... and I had the KKM for 2 years without it making this noise. If I can, I'll try and find someway of recording it. Although, I could be wrong, I think it is way too annoying to be a normal thing.

Mine has a light whistle also. Seems to be automatic transmission related on mine, since it shifting will alter the whistle, or make it go away.

I have a K&N FIPK kit, BTW.

Alright I managed to record the sound with my cellphone. It's not very good sound quality, and the Xterrains and exhaust don't help much, but it's something.Ignore the video I was just using it to get the sound portion. You can really hear it when I let off the accelerator right at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf9gBdmlxnU

That's a good recording, but I'm clueless...

-Joe

Well I dont think its tranny related because it doesn't seem to happen with shifting, just accel..... My driveshaft is making an awful noise also because it needs to be extended and has play in it.....getting that extended tommorow most likely. Maybe I'll get lucky and get 2 birds with one stone. Extremely unlikely, but who knows.

Do you by any chance have flextubing in your exhaust?

Wow, that sounds great! Better than mine to be honest!

Mine does it too and I am just using a stock air filter, but it isn't as loud as yours. Actually, you reminded me to check my filter to see if it is dirty.

It sounds like the same noise my explorer is making, It is almost like a quick siren noise like a cop pulled up behind you and gave you a quick warning with his siren, It sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the back of the vechicle @ the rear a/c but haven't been able to find the issue, Let me know if you get anymore response on this.

Back