F-150 A-Pillar Handles Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F-150 A-Pillar Handles Install

First off, I want to say that this is a VERY cool mod. Section525 beat me to it (click here to see his - he used regular explorer handles though :thumbdwn: ;) )- but he pushed me into finishing mine (from a year ago). Here is my old thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130064

Prices: (via FastPartsNetwork)

2003 Ford F-150

2L3Z-1531406-AAA - Handle $19.07
2L3Z-1531458-AAA - Cover Clips $4.14

The Parts:

000_0799.jpg

000_0798.jpg

000_0797.jpg

Sheet Metal Screw:

000_0800.jpg

Note: I had to use a spacer between the pillar and the mounting surface of the handle - but I have to go to work and make some more spacers (so no pictures of those).

Time:

Installation: ~1 hr.
Engineering the first handle: ~4 hrs :rolleyes:

Figuring out how to make this handle work with my a-pillar was a pain, but I finally figured it out and made it very supportive! :thumbsup:

Installation:

For me, I had to find out where I wanted it mounted and then findout where I was on the actual a-pillar. I then drilled holes and then cut the a-pillar panel so that the handle will sit flush. I then put my spacer on the ends of the handle and screwed them on. The only hard part was figuring out exactly whereon the a-pillar panel you are and cutting out the holes (if you use the type of handles I used).

Why should you use my type handles?

Because you can make it flush! I am not saying Section did a bad job -he actually did a great job along with all of his other projects - I am just showing the difference in handle choices! No drama needed here!!

Sections525:

32.jpg

Mine:

000_0796.jpg

Installed:

000_0795.jpg

000_0793.jpg

000_0792.jpg

How Strong:

The handles feel very sturdy and my father, who weights roughly 250 pulled himself up into the truck and felt very good about the handle. At first he was shy - but I told him to try and twist it and he felt better about it. I am about 180 and I pulled myself up fine and felt very safe and it was easy as could be to get into my truck now :thumbsup:

There you go! Kind of cool huh? I will do my driver side a-pillar soon (probably tomorrow), but I will add pictures of that later :thumbsup:

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My uncle had a body and repair shop. He taught me some very valuable lessons first being anything except perfection is unaceptable. I was rebuilding motors at age 15. I found myself grinding welds, primiming, painting and undercoating even where they would never be seen or not needing all those steps. But it feels soooooo good knowing that you did the best you could.
Nice fit!

/me goes to get his dremel out. :p

Nice work! I'm not digging the tan interior though. :D :p :)

cool mod
not needed on my ex though ;)

I STILL haven't done the drivers side. Anyone else try this?

-Drew

Back