F150 Raptor-style ID lights/Marker lights | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F150 Raptor-style ID lights/Marker lights

I recently noticed that the F-150 Raptors have 3 amber marker or ID lights at the top center of the grill. I thought it looked pretty cool, and found out that it's actually required by law since the vehicle is wider than 80 inches.

Anyway, I thought I'd look into doing something similar for my truck. Seems a lot of the regular F-150 guys have been doing this also, so after reading about the lights they used, I decided to buy 4 of these and give it a try:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-accent-lighting/bolt-beam-10mm-led-light/56/

They're already wired up you just need to hook them up to power. Better yet, they fit perfectly inside the openings in my mesh grille, just need to put some little brackets back there to mount them in place. I plan to wire them up in parallel and tap into the parking light power wire behind one of the headlights.

Should end up looking something like this...just need to decide whether I want to do 3 or 4 lights. I am leaning towards 4:

idlights2sim.jpg

IDLightssim.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

239 I have added 194 sockets into various housings before, let me know if you need any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

239 I have added 194 sockets into various housings before, let me know if you need any info.

Ok cool. So is there anyway to add a socket opening that you twist to lock, or do you just drill a circular opening?

Yes pick a spot that is fairly flat of course and where it will not conflict with existing bulbs bodywork etc. Use a 1/2" spade bit for the round part and then use the edge of a flat file to make the notches within. I have purchased the sockets with pigtails then soldered/heat shrink/split loom from there. They twist in just like the factory bulb holders.

Yes pick a spot that is fairly flat of course and where it will not conflict with existing bulbs bodywork etc. Use a 1/2" spade bit for the round part and then use the edge of a flat file to make the notches within. I have purchased the sockets with pigtails then soldered/heat shrink/split loom from there. They twist in just like the factory bulb holders.

Sounds like a good place to start, thanks for the advice. Hopefully the H1 fog light bulbs don't fry the LEDs over time :D since they're going to be in the same housing.

I like your mod Ronin8002, but I want all mods to be removable on my Explorer so I ran pos and neg into interior, under carpet, through center council, and into center council. Then crimped into a 12v cig adapter which is plugged into a 3 way cig adapter splitter box with a switch. Will post pics soon but it works great.

Back