F150 Raptor-style ID lights/Marker lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F150 Raptor-style ID lights/Marker lights

I recently noticed that the F-150 Raptors have 3 amber marker or ID lights at the top center of the grill. I thought it looked pretty cool, and found out that it's actually required by law since the vehicle is wider than 80 inches.

Anyway, I thought I'd look into doing something similar for my truck. Seems a lot of the regular F-150 guys have been doing this also, so after reading about the lights they used, I decided to buy 4 of these and give it a try:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-accent-lighting/bolt-beam-10mm-led-light/56/

They're already wired up you just need to hook them up to power. Better yet, they fit perfectly inside the openings in my mesh grille, just need to put some little brackets back there to mount them in place. I plan to wire them up in parallel and tap into the parking light power wire behind one of the headlights.

Should end up looking something like this...just need to decide whether I want to do 3 or 4 lights. I am leaning towards 4:

idlights2sim.jpg

IDLightssim.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4 :thumbsup:

I pass one going the opposite way every morning going to work, and was thinking about how it would look on my Explorer.

Good idea... Midnightrebel has some on his sport trac. I think he has 3 though.

Yep, I used tractor-trailer abs trailer amber l.e.d.'s. I've been doing this long before the Raptor came along.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

That looks nice! Great job!

Thanks!

I'm going to be looking into putting some clearance lights on the roof soon, probably 5 of them. Not sure if the 4 lights up front will look right with that but if they don't I'll just take one out and rearrange them so they are centered.

Looks awesome! How bright are they in the daylight?

Standing by for the night shots....................:popcorn:

Looks awesome! How bright are they in the daylight?

Standing by for the night shots....................:popcorn:

Is there anybody out there? :dunno:

In full daylight they aren't as bright unless you are directly in front. They have a fairly narrow beam. at night though they are quite visible.

BTW signal mirrors just arrived today, and I'll also be putting some amber signals on the forward face of the side mirrors since my truck doesn't have any blinking side markers...figure those are good safety mods.

No worries, just yanking your chain. :p:

Looks really good. I have something up my sleeve concerning these LEDs. Will post when appropriate!!

No worries, just yanking your chain. :p:

Looks really good. I have something up my sleeve concerning these LEDs. Will post when appropriate!!

thanks!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I can see how these LED bolts would have a ton of applications.

Ronin, great job with these! I've always wondered what it would look like on an Expo, but always thought it wouldn't look that great. But man, did you pull it off perfect! It looks soooo good.

Youve inspired me to try this on my 00 ex. They should be here tomorrow and ill hopefully install them this weekend along with some other LED goodies. I might have to do some custom work since I measured the stock mesh and it might be a bit small. Hopefully I can make it work and dont have to order the 5mm. Pics to come when finished.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Youve inspired me to try this on my 00 ex. They should be here tomorrow and ill hopefully install them this weekend along with some other LED goodies. I might have to do some custom work since I measured the stock mesh and it might be a bit small. Hopefully I can make it work and dont have to order the 5mm. Pics to come when finished.

cool! can't wait to see what you come up with!

Back