Fabbed up skid plate today

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Well, finally got to making a skid plate for the front. Cut out of 24"x30"x3/16" steel. It's not the biggest/strongest thing, but it is better than nothing. I made it for 3 purposes...
-Provide some protection
-better aerodynamics underneath
-snow - will "cut through" for lack of a better term on those wintery days, better than just having the IFS hitting like a wall

Here's what it looks like...the lines are where it was bent...
skdplte.jpg

skdpp.jpg

It attaches to the bottom of the bumper, and goes back and connects to the bottom of the IFS. That's the best picture I have of it for now, because it's dark, and underneath everything, so it's hard to see, especially with a camera phone. I'll edit this post with a non camera phone picture when I get around to taking one.

I might decide to pull it down, and weld a support rod/beam or two down the length of it, if I decide it isn't strong enough/flexes too much. But for now, I'm leaving it as is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now it just needs Jon's special touch:D

"Burns" green would look good:p:

Well, took some pictures with a camera, instead of the phone.

It's still hard to see, but I like it. It cleans up the front end some, and you don't notice the ugly brown front suspension hanging down.
IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

There are 2 changes I'm thinking of now...either putting some support ribs behind it for a little more strength, and/or weld some "wings" on it, make it cover a little more.

Are those Dayton Timberline A/T's?
They are some really good tires, I've had mine for about 32,000 miles and only half the tread is gone. Plus there preatty good offroad also.

Good looking work, keep it up.:thumbsup:

Yep, sure are. They were cheap, and work well. I'm happy with them.

That's the tires I have on my Mounty.

looking good charlie:thumbsup:
i would suggest extra support, my plate was just like that and it got destroyed at the beach, almost pinched my trans-cooler lines.
i love the look of sports....i am not biased or anything!

I dont see any pictures, is it my browser or did you remove them?

Nevermind, it was my internet connection. dropped me, and did not load pics.
Looks good, maybe a coat of industrial enamel gloss black? Gloss is easy to clean.

I'm still seeing them.

I'm thinking extra support rods of some form will be welded on the back. Probably either..one down the middle, 2 evenly spaced, or 3; one on each side, and one in the middle.

I'm still seeing them.

I'm thinking extra support rods of some form will be welded on the back. Probably either..one down the middle, 2 evenly spaced, or 3; one on each side, and one in the middle.

Charlie,
I am having one made for mine. A friend is fabricating it for me. 3/8" flat stock. Same area as you, same front to back connections. Only it will have a wider coverage area, and 1" angle iron welded top side next to slots cut out for air flow. Two lengths of angle iron will be in a V formation at front/top of plate. He just ordered the materials, when it is built and installed. I will share some pics with you. Just thought I'd share, if your going to take it off for more fabrication. Small 90* bends of 1" or smaller on the sides will strengthen it as well. This stuff is so cool to do!

Is the front bumper coming off next?? :)

Is the front bumper coming off next?? :)

Probably not, actually. I've been thinking of different ideas for a long time, but haven't been seriously considering any. Maybe someday down the road...

Charlie,
I am having one made for mine. A friend is fabricating it for me. 3/8" flat stock. Same area as you, same front to back connections. Only it will have a wider coverage area, and 1" angle iron welded top side next to slots cut out for air flow. Two lengths of angle iron will be in a V formation at front/top of plate. He just ordered the materials, when it is built and installed. I will share some pics with you. Just thought I'd share, if your going to take it off for more fabrication. Small 90* bends of 1" or smaller on the sides will strengthen it as well. This stuff is so cool to do!

I'll be interested to see this-I might pull some ideas from it...:D

Back