• Register Today It's free!

Factory 5-speed needs an Engine

96firephoenix

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I've got so much going wrong with my engine, that rather than take it down for a day here and a day there , I'm planning to get a junkyard engine and a rebuild kit, then wait for the 4.0 to go belly up.

The question is what do I get that I can bolt in place of my 4.0? Is my best option to just get another 4.0, or could I pull something out of another Ford

I'm not looking to have some massive conversion process on my hands like "Oh, you could get a Cummins and 6 speed out of a Dodge 3500 in there if you have a fab shop" Side note: I think I could, and I think I want to, but not on this Explorer right now.

Requirements:
  1. Must maintain 4x4, preferably electronic as is currently in my
  2. Must be compatible with a manual transmission. I'm willing to swap this as well, as long as it meets Req't No. 1
  3. I need to be able to buy parts for it, preferably online.
  4. I don't really want to go down in terms of gas mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for ease i would just swap another 4.0 you can pull them from mustangs and rangers up to 2010? but dont quote me on that. just make sure to keep your stock intake manifold.

if you ever thought about selling i would snatch that up in a heartbeat, just saying LOL

for ease i would just swap another 4.0 you can pull them from mustangs and rangers up to 2010? but dont quote me on that. just make sure to keep your stock intake manifold.

if you ever thought about selling i would snatch that up in a heartbeat, just saying LOL
Sounds about what I thought. "another 4.0 is your best bet" is a 100% acceptable answer. if I could easily swap the v8 on there, I might consider it, but I understand there's a whole host of ancillary changes I'd need to do.

haha I am not letting go of my unicorn. I drove 3 hours each way to get one with a factory 5 speed.

the work required for the v8 would be insane. it would just be easier to do your cummins swap.

yeah i figured you wouldnt let go of it. hell if i ever get my hands on one its going to the grave with me

uH REALLY? v8 swap is cake if you have a donor vehicle. Trans wont work so you would have to figure that part out, mustang or f150 trans, PCM would require custom programming. the engine side is simply a matter of swapping then engine and harness plus a few other things like hoses and the steering rack and intermediate shaft.

with 2 complete trucks it took me 22 hours straight by my self(I have an extremely well equipped shop).

but if you want to keep your trans then you will have to stick with a 4.0 snag one from a 05ish mustang much improved engine over your 02.

uH REALLY? v8 swap is 1cake if you have a donor vehicle. Trans wont work so you would have to figure that part out, mustang or f150 trans, 2PCM would require custom programming. the engine side is simply a matter of swapping then engine and harness plus a few other things like hoses and the steering rack and intermediate shaft.

with 2 complete trucks it took me 22 hours straight by my self(3I have an extremely well equipped shop).

but 4if you want to keep your trans then you will have to stick with a 4.0 5snag one from a 05ish mustang much improved engine over your 02.

1. that is a big "if", lol.
  2. that's not in the budget for me...
  3. I don't. I really wish I did, but that's a few years off.
  4. doesn't necessarily need to be the one that's in there right now, just a manual.
  5. Do you know if the bellhousing pattern would have changed? I don't see why it would, but you never know.

I think the best bet is just another 4.0... Wife says I'm not allowed to start majorly modifying the explorer yet, just repairs. From what I've seen, a v8 swap is gonna be a major undertaking for my limited shop.

I think I'll over-rule her and do an e-fan conversion while i'm in there. no sense putting it back together with a broken design in place, lol.

4.0 sohc blocks should all be the same

4.0 sohc blocks should all be the same

OK, I was just wanting to make sure. what in particular about the Mustang engine is better than a similar year explorer engine?

well they are much newer(updated) and usually cheaper, most junkyards know the explorer engines are in high demand ad charge more. However in the mustangs the v6 is much les sought after so there are usually more of them.

cost is the same at the local junkyards, and you're right, v6 mustang engines tend to get left alone, while the explorer ones are stripped bare PDQ.

So it's the exact same engine, no funny mustang only bullshit aside from the intake/exhaust manifolds? I know some of the GM engines were widely different despite being "the same engine" (mostly the FWD vs RWD variants, but these are both RWD)

I would re use as much off your engine as possible. Just to make sure

I would re use as much off your engine as possible. Just to make sure

I spent a little bit of time digging around on a mustang forum, and looking at the "I put an explorer 4.0 in my stang when I sploded the engine" threads. looks like all the accessories/brackets therefor are different, and the tune is a little different, so any rebuild stuff would need to be purchased for a mustang 4.0.

Correct the cams are different I believe. I have seen threads where the explorer guys have done the swap and been very happy

hmm... just checked the local yards and craigslist... no dice on any mustangs, but I found a couple explorer engines.

Back