• Register Today It's free!

Factory 93 Octaine Tune?

PaulEXPSPT

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I talked to someone at my dealer about getting and airraid CI, Borla exhaust, and a 93 oct tuner. I wanted to go with factory tune to not void the warranty. My question is I have done a lot of research on tuners like Livernois and I cant find a ford factory tune for the explorer sport anywhere. I found them for the Mustang and Focus and even the Raptor but nothing for the explorer on any Ford site. Guy guy at the dealer said he would sell me a tuner but I would install it myself. But I am worried it will not have the proper tune for the Explorer Sport. Has anyone bought a factory 93 Oct tuner from ford for their Explorer Sport or know any info about them?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Paul.:wave:
I just used the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right) and didn't find anything on the topic except this thread. I don't believe Ford has a tune for the Explorer. I did come across one member who took his vehicle in for service and the dealer didn't mention anything about the tune he had. Installing a 'tune' will only void the warranty on a part if the cause of its failure is traced back to the 'tune'.

Peter

Thank you for the reply. I am trying to figure out what the dealer was talking about. He quoted me a price of $450 for the tuner and I asked him about voiding the warranty and he said no because it was purchased from the Ford dealer. I just have no idea what tuner he is selling me and more importantly what the specs of the tune will be. Wanted to see if anyone had some info on this before I bought it. I was planning on dropping my Sport off and having them just put everything in at once:

Borla Exhaust
3 bar map
airaid cold air
Tuner
Thermostat (maybe)
Spark Plugs

Just not sure how it will be properly tuned after all these installs when the dealer said I would install the tune myself.

Although I'm not positive, I think for it to be warrantied it has to also be installed by the dealer. As far as service or changing programs afterwards.........:dunno:
I think I'd get some more info on the tuner.

Peter

I'd double check with Ford on the Dealer's claims about the warranty.

Just because you purchase those parts from a dealer and have them install them doesn't mean the warranty will not be voided.
Obviously the parts have to be shown to cause or contribute to a failure.

Also, for the tune, now sure what they mean by needing a tuner to get the factory tune. A factory tune is a factory tune.
Once you start changing parts that affect the engine(specifically the thermostat and CAI), the tune may need to change to get it to run optimally. That tune may not be the same as the factory.
Also, I don't believe the 3 bar MAP will do anything for you with a factory tune. That's only beneficial if you increase the boost from my understanding.

Back