Factory Alarm in a 1999 XLT?

kythri

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Howdy howdy...

Is there any way to tell if I've got a factory alarm in my '99 XLT? I've never had it go off, but I'm curious, if there is one, is it possible to disable it?

If so, how would it be re-enabled?

I've got the keyless entry, a blinking "THEFT" light in my gauge cluster, the horn honks if you push the lock button more than once...

My parents bought a '95 Lincoln Town Car that I was playing with when I visited a while back, and it has the keyless entry, etc, but if someone uses the key to open the door when the keyless entry honk-locked it, the horn starts going off.

Just wondering if my truck had something similar, or if it was an uninstalled option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000 XLT, it has the blinking dummy theft light but no alarm. I also have the keyless entry. The horn does not honk if I hit the lock button twice. So if they are very simular you probably don't have an alarm.

However I am not a professional or mechanic in any way and my 2000 XLT may be different.

David

Sit in the vehicle and lock it with the keys out. Then open the door. If it has an "active" alarm it will sound. Use the key fob to unlock and stop the horn (alarms). Or put the key in the ignition and switch it on to reset the alarm.

My 98 XLT has an active alarm standard equipment.

I have a '99 XLT and i have a factory alarm. if you look under the steering wheel next to the handle to pop the hood you should see a little LED light that looks aftermarket (just screwed in)

also, pop your hood, on the right hand side under the brake master cylinder you should see a blow horn. if you dont have these items then you dont have an alarm system. just the keyless entry. (the horn honking after you press your FOB twice fast means that all the doors locked successfully, it doesn't mean that the alarm has been armed.)

if you need pics i can take some. just ask me.

Viper

Viper81 said:
I have a '99 XLT and i have a factory alarm. if you look under the steering wheel next to the handle to pop the hood you should see a little LED light that looks aftermarket (just screwed in)

also, pop your hood, on the right hand side under the brake master cylinder you should see a blow horn. if you dont have these items then you dont have an alarm system. just the keyless entry. (the horn honking after you press your FOB twice fast means that all the doors locked successfully, it doesn't mean that the alarm has been armed.)

if you need pics i can take some. just ask me.

Viper

If what Viper says is true to all XLT's then my 2000 definetely does not have an alarm.

David

No LED on mine, just the "theft" light. I think the theft light blinks to indicate passive mode (ignition disabled) and when you lock the doors it goes "steady on" to indicated active mode. Definitely a factory active alarm though. No added horn either. I suspect what Viper has is a dealership installed version. Unless 99 is different than 98.

Welp - I guess I don't have the alarm, unless there's some way to disable it, and mine is disabled.

Was just curious - as I mentioned, I played with the one in the '95 Town Car, and it honked the horn/flashed the lights.

I'll probably end up buying an aftermarket alarm/remote start package, but I'm curious - what components are needed for the factory alarm, and how hard would it be to add it?

Back