• Register Today It's free!

factory amp and aftermarket sub

eguiyab

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited
does anyone know what the specs are on the second amp for the jbl premium sound system ???
is it possible to run a aftermarket sub off the factory amp ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome..Try giving crutchfield a call.800-955-3000. They should be able to help and also have some subs on sale right now..

I believe the sub amp in the JBL system is 80w. I installed a 6X9 Kicker sub in the original JBL box (with some modifications necessary). I am still using the original amp and it sounds great!

oh lordy. sale or no sale, crutchfield is a RIP OFF and then some. Also, i wouldnt suggest a aftermarket sub off a factory amp, since the factory amp is a 4 channel and most likely not bridgable to 2. if you get it soundin good, more power to ya, but personally i'd go for a new amp. just my personal opinion.

good luck,
Jeff aka Lamah

crutchfield isnt that bad. i have had orders from there before and they are reputable and QA customer service dept is really good.

not that bad ? they have infinity perfects at msrp, $299. I got them for exactly half that, brand new.

there service might be good, but there prices are horrible

You will be underpowering the sub because that amp is made to punch that 6 1/2 sub (blown 2 of those myself). Underpowering the sub makes it easier to shread and blow the aftermarket subs. Also you won't be getting the most out of the sub. its definitely not enough power to power 2 subs..tried myself, and the subs would short out every 30seconds.

update

okay thanks for the help everyone.
now okay this is my new situation. i have a JBL loud and clear 10 sub. mad a box for it, to factory specs.....and i conected it by splicing the old harness that went to the factory jbl sub(6.5inch)
it works but i know its not the best thing to do.......now if i want to add a new amp and remove the factory amp do i have to by harnesses, so i dont have to cut off the old harness or can i just splice into the old wiring or do i have to rewire ???

unless the stock radio has rca out puts that go to the amp, your not gonna have a easy time finding a amp that will connect into the current wireing setup. I'm not sure how the systems with the 6.5"'s are, but mine went directly from the speaker outs to the amp, which most aftermarket amps wont do.

also, id92, underpowering doesnt cause the subs to blow. subs blow because they over heat from too much power. and the subs wouldnt short out, the amp would. which means that the ohm load was too low for the stock amp.

good luck in your search,
Jeff aka Lamah

What I ended up doing is running the speakers off the factory amp and buying an aftermarket amp to power my subs. Now that all the fuss with install is over everything sounds great. By the way, I purchased everything from Crutchfield.

Back