• Register Today It's free!

Factory Amp And New HU?

JMT1SOMR

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, TN * Oxford, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I just installed the Aiwa CDC-MP3 deck into my 95 X, but I was wondering if the 22w RMS it puts out as well as the signal will be cleaner and louder than whatever the stock amp is pushing (What is the RMS on the stock amp anyway?)? Should I spend the time to remove the old amp? I've heard it's garbage and my Audiobahn 5x7 plates sound pretty crappy at a louder volume. Would clarity improve if I ran it off the HU's internal amp, or should I leave it on the stock Ford amp? Thanks in advance, JMT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

read that top sticky post, it has tons of good info. IIRC, the stock ford amp is 15x4 for the speakers + an amp for the sub. In addition, the amp is famous for distorting the music at high volume (at least from what everyone here says, and I notice it myself). Youre much better off getting an adapter kit and bypassing the amp.

I think I would dump the factory amp and power from the HU. If you want/need more power than the HU puts out, then look inot an aftermarket amp.

Good luck.....

I have a Pioneer head unit and 4 pioneer 6x8's. Definitly take out the stock amp. Sounds much much better now, but hopefully I'll be getting a new amp soon....

ALWAYS BYPASS never use something to drop the level, it rarely works well.

yup....bypass the stock amp with an adapter (like $15 from crutchfield) i did for mine....it now sounds the same as far as loudness but the sound off my hu is much cleaner than when i was using the stock amp....

Back