Factory Amp And New HU? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Factory Amp And New HU?

JMT1SOMR

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, TN * Oxford, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I just installed the Aiwa CDC-MP3 deck into my 95 X, but I was wondering if the 22w RMS it puts out as well as the signal will be cleaner and louder than whatever the stock amp is pushing (What is the RMS on the stock amp anyway?)? Should I spend the time to remove the old amp? I've heard it's garbage and my Audiobahn 5x7 plates sound pretty crappy at a louder volume. Would clarity improve if I ran it off the HU's internal amp, or should I leave it on the stock Ford amp? Thanks in advance, JMT

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Steve94LTD

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
read that top sticky post, it has tons of good info. IIRC, the stock ford amp is 15x4 for the speakers + an amp for the sub. In addition, the amp is famous for distorting the music at high volume (at least from what everyone here says, and I notice it myself). Youre much better off getting an adapter kit and bypassing the amp.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I think I would dump the factory amp and power from the HU. If you want/need more power than the HU puts out, then look inot an aftermarket amp.

Good luck.....

kaised

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Bronco XLT
I have a Pioneer head unit and 4 pioneer 6x8's. Definitly take out the stock amp. Sounds much much better now, but hopefully I'll be getting a new amp soon....

jsdean

Reaction score
City, State
College Station TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
ALWAYS BYPASS never use something to drop the level, it rarely works well.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
yup....bypass the stock amp with an adapter (like $15 from crutchfield) i did for mine....it now sounds the same as far as loudness but the sound off my hu is much cleaner than when i was using the stock amp....