• Register Today It's free!

Factory Amp & Sub - Please Help

The_Limited

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Limited
My factory sub system nolonger works - I removed the sub and checked it using another stereo and the actual sub does work. I am assuming it's the Amp (does anyone know if the Amp is fused or what might be wrong with it?). The other four speakers in the system works fine but there is no bass - I need bass - HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the same problem i'm having! What year is yours? I'm very curious what the real problem is too.

The_Limited said:
My factory sub system nolonger works - I removed the sub and checked it using another stereo and the actual sub does work. I am assuming it's the Amp (does anyone know if the Amp is fused or what might be wrong with it?). The other four speakers in the system works fine but there is no bass - I need bass - HELP!!!

claustraphobia said:
This is the same problem i'm having! What year is yours? I'm very curious what the real problem is too.

I Own a 1997 X Limited with the JBL sound system. If you find out anything that can help - please let me know.

The_Limited said:
I Own a 1997 X Limited with the JBL sound system. If you find out anything that can help - please let me know.

Yeah I have a 93 eddie bauer. I still haven't been able to find anything out.

It seems when you replace the factory HU with a more powerfull aftermarket one, therefore running more power into the factory amp, it does not work for long.This happened to me, my bro's 91 and my buddy's 93.Easy answer? Pull out those crappy factory amps, throw them in the garbage and build an amp rack to bolt onto the factory sub box.Then put the factory subs to rest with the amps and put an 8 or 10 in that factory box, surrounded by some checkerplate to cover the ugly black that is no longer covered because the factory speaker cover does not fit on.Then get one of those really cool flamed chrome sub covers, they look really cool with the checkerplate.

That's what I did, If I had done it all at once I probably could have easily got it done by lunch.

This happened to me in my 93 limited. It was the JBL package with the single sub in the back. The bass was gone, once in a while it would hit for a few moments, then nothing. Its definitely the subwoofer located in the rear. Nothing was wrong with my amp. I replaced the woofer and had no more problems. In fact, when I fist tried troubleshooting the problem, I found that it was actually the wire at the speaker connecting to the cone, just past the connector. Looked to me as if the heat mixed with heavy bass weared out the wire. All you have to do to confirm that this is the problem is this:

1. Remove the panel from your sub on the panel.
2. Pull the subwoofer out.. about 6 or 8 screws hold it in. (Note: You will need to reseal the box)
3. With the stereo on, and the speaker wires/terminal free from being shorted on anything, gently wiggle the wire connecting the terminal to the bass cone.
4. Does it pop on and off?
5. Go out and get another woofer.

Back