Factory Audio Modification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Audio Modification

wwbiii

Reaction score
Alrighty, I'm kinda new at audio, but I was wanting some advice on what I should do. I have a 2001 Ex Sport with the Premium 6 Disc Changer. Here's where I need help on. Someone gave me 2 12'' subs and a 1000 watt amp. Is there anyway I can keep the factory setup (ie: 4 door speakers and the factory sub running through the factory amp), and then just add the 1000 watt amp with the 2 subs. I don't really want to go out and buy another amp to power the door speakers. Basically keeping the factory speakers and subwoofer running on the factory amp, and just have my other amp and 2 subs as an addition. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure you can do that. Problem is then your high and mod range will NEVER come anywhere close to balanced with the subs. Basicaly your system will sound like a hard hitting POS. Some people like this but it is cheasy. Any idiot can add a big amp and massive subs to a vehicle but making it sound good is a challenge all its own. OK so anyway here it is. First off you will need MASSIVE power cable for that 1000 watter. Maybe something like 2 gauge but i am too lazy to look it up. Next you will need some type of an output to hook the amp into. Aftermarket head units often have "pre-outs" that directly connect to an amp. Since factory units rarely have them a few companies have developed ways around this. Basicaly you get a little box that connects to your speaker wires. It intern converts that signal into what the amp is looking for. Such items are readily available for 20-30 bucks. then just set the filters on the amp so that you arent putting the high frequencies into the sub and you are good to go. Well decent to go since your system will be all bass and nothing else.

You dont need 2 gauge, 4 will work fine unless you are really gonna be pounding those, and I still think 2 might be overkill.
Hes right about the line level convertor, most audio shops should have and they are easy to install. Also some amps have line level inputs so that wouldnt be needed. So be sure to check that first.
Mind if I ask the brands of subs and amp?

Dont listen to all that about the subs drowing out your highs, it can happen, but you can also turn down the bass on your deck and the gain on your amp and it wont be a problem at all. Tune it to how you like it and call it good, maybe you like a little bass to fill in, or maybe you like tons of bass with no highs its all personaly preference, so set it up how YOU like it, not how he likes it

Chris

EDIT: Welcome to the site, if you have more audio questions the Audio forum gets alot more response than the general forum (audio wise)

Originally posted by rokke17
You dont need 2 gauge, 4 will work fine unless you are really gonna be pounding those, and I still think 2 might be overkill.
Hes right about the line level convertor, most audio shops should have and they are easy to install. Also some amps have line level inputs so that wouldnt be needed. So be sure to check that first.
Mind if I ask the brands of subs and amp?

Dont listen to all that about the subs drowing out your highs, it can happen, but you can also turn down the bass on your deck and the gain on your amp and it wont be a problem at all. Tune it to how you like it and call it good, maybe you like a little bass to fill in, or maybe you like tons of bass with no highs its all personaly preference, so set it up how YOU like it, not how he likes it

Chris
Took the words out of my mouth.

BTW, mine is set up exactly as you are planning yours.

I have one of those line level convertors going to my cheap ass amped bazooka tube. Anyway, either it sucks or the bazooka sucks. The sub will hiss if the volume is turned down too much. And when the truck is turned off (after being on of course) it will also hiss for about 10 seconds after I turn it off.

Any thoughts? Its done this since day one.

I have one of those line level convertors going to my cheap ass amped bazooka tube. Anyway, either it sucks or the bazooka sucks. The sub will hiss if the volume is turned down too much. And when the truck is turned off (after being on of course) it will also hiss for about 10 seconds after I turn it off.

Your gain on the Bazooka amp is set to high. Your line conv. probably has 2 adjustable screws on it. If it does, try turning those up (not to distortion) and turning the gain on the B amp down.

Your ears might be wanting more then the amp/sub has to give, so you crank up the gain for when you listen loud. The hiss is overpowered at the high levels.

Hmmm.. I should break down and get a decent setup, right? Would it be worth my effort to get a decent amp and sub? Or is keeping my factory setup a no-win situation?

When I had the stock HU I tapped the rear speaker wires from the passenger kickpanel and put them into the line-level inputs on my amp. If your amp doesn't have these inputs you'll need a line level converter to get the signal into the amp as explained above.

I didn't have any problems with noise or highs through the subs, but I also have a high quality amp (RF).

Okay here is what I have. The amp is an 1000 watt Sony Explod and the subs are Infinity 12's. All of this was given to me so I'm not sure on the particulars, I can look them up if you need me to. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by section525
Hmmm.. I should break down and get a decent setup, right? Would it be worth my effort to get a decent amp and sub? Or is keeping my factory setup a no-win situation?
Mine makes a hum if I put the gain up over halfway. I think it's definitely a no-win situation. I've tried it about every way I can think of but it just doesn't work properly. I'm just biding my time now until I buy a new head unit.

Originally posted by wwbiii
Okay here is what I have. The amp is an 1000 watt Sony Explod and the subs are Infinity 12's. All of this was given to me so I'm not sure on the particulars, I can look them up if you need me to. Thanks in advance.

OK, you'd be fine with 4 gauge, you could probably skate by with 8 gauge if you really wanted to.
The reason I asked about the amp model is to determine if it has line level inputs or not.
If it looks like this:
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SONXM1600GXD
then you should have line level inputs and you could run speaker wires right to the amp. If it ends up not having the line level inputs then its just a simple matter of gettting a line level convertor, as stated above.
Also as stated above, tuning it requires a good ear and a little help, try to turn the amp gain to about 1/4 and go from there.

eek 8 gauge for 1000 watts?? im running 8 for 300 watts

Originally posted by Fish Man
eek 8 gauge for 1000 watts?? im running 8 for 300 watts

Yeah yeah, its a Sony Xplode though. As I stated I would run 4, but 8 would get it done.

It will sound like crap. What did I do for 6 years? Oh yeah compitition sound system installs. The bass WILL drown out the mids and highs. In turn it will sound like crap. Though some people like that nothing but bass sound. 8 Gauge wouldnt burn up but will be a terrible thing to do. Sure 4 will also work, probably even well. However recomended is 2 for 1000+.

what im packin

hey... use what you got..it was given to you... run 4 gauge.. probably purchase a cap... or youll get crazy dim on your lights.... if you turn the bass all the way down on your head unit, and up on the amp... your subs will hit craxy loud... cuz they are on a line filter... and youl still have mids... and put bass blockers on your mids youl have a tight system... for those of you who think im stupid..im an employee at sound tech car audio im long beach i install systems all day everyday

Are you suggesting he turn the attenuator all the way up on the amp? Not to flame But remind me never to go to that shop.

buisness is good no need for u

im saying turn it up.. not crank it.. im not trying to bun nething..im saying when properly tuned it should sound decent... not ****ty... not competition either

Back