Factory Audiophile, would like to to to Nav | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Audiophile, would like to to to Nav

Laserbait

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer V8 AWD
I just bought a 06 Mountaineer with the Audiophile sound (with sub). If I replaced it with the nav unit from another 06 mountaineer, would there be anything else that I need, like a GPS antenna?

I do not have the rear DVD/Entertainment system, if that makes a difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You definitely need the GPS antenna. Are you sirrius equipped too?

I know everyone likes the OEM look of the factory nav, but there are better aftermarket options that include some worthwhile features like bluetooth. I am getting ready to have one of the new Kenwood systems installed and there are pluses and minuses with all of them. One thing you want to consider is the cost of updating the maps over time. Have you looked into that?

I couldnt agree anymore.. aftermarket is the way to go. WAY many more features, sound will be 10x better.

i was looking into adding a factory nav unit into my 07 exp, after looking and not being able to find one for good price (under 900), i ended up getting a jvc kwnt3hdt, i got it for 500 installed and it came with a gps antenna, and bluetooth, hd radio, and traffic updates for life, plus a detachable screen for extra protection. only down side is i couldnt use my factory sirius but it was crap in my opinion anyway.

If you did care about the sat radio and currently are paying for it (not the free service from ford) you cantransfer the subscription (with a new sat radio module for the aftermarket radio).

i was looking into adding a factory nav unit into my 07 exp, after looking and not being able to find one for good price (under 900), i ended up getting a jvc kwnt3hdt, i got it for 500 installed and it came with a gps antenna, and bluetooth, hd radio, and traffic updates for life, plus a detachable screen for extra protection. only down side is i couldnt use my factory sirius but it was crap in my opinion anyway.

Cost of the head units is a problem lots of times, but feature set is really junk. For the time, they were fine, but things have moved on technology wise and spending that kind of green ($900 or more) to put old tech into your dash makes no sense. Besides, the map update disks cost at least double in comparison to aftermarket solutions.

I don't have Satellite radio, so that's good. I do hate buying updates though. :) Thanks for that tip.

Maybe I'll just go with the iSimple iPod and Bluetooth interface. Has anyone used that before?

I don't have Satellite radio, so that's good. I do hate buying updates though. :) Thanks for that tip.

Maybe I'll just go with the iSimple iPod and Bluetooth interface. Has anyone used that before?

I have not used those before, but in my opinion that kind of setup is a great, low cost option for adding a couple of really key features. Bluetooth and ipod interface were two features I wanted with my new system. Parrot makes some units that give you options in this area, then buy a portable garmin with lifetime maps and traffic and you are good to go.

Back