Wanted - Factory Class III hitch - Keep an eye out for me, please. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Factory Class III hitch - Keep an eye out for me, please.

Parts or services wanted

Dlabonte_2

Reaction score
City, State
Meriden, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 5.0l AWD
Should be picking up my '03 Ex Eddie Bauer later this week. Only 47k on it - hopefully I don't start experiencing the issues that some other have been having (reading through the 3rd gen forums).

Even though this EB doesn't have the factory class II hitch or tow package, I'm planning to swap the wimpy class II hitch out for a class III. I have a 6'x12' landscape/utility trailer that we occasionally use to take our motorcycles to various places as well as an 18' SeaRay boat that weighs in at just under 3000lbs. I realize that without the factory tow package that I don't have the 7000lb towing capacity, but figuring that I've towed both above items with my 165k mile '97 EX, I don't think I'll have any issues with more horses under the hood.

My favor to everyone out there is to keep an eye out for a factory class III receiver/bumper support. I've checked around at a couple of "if we don't have it, we'll get it for you" auto salvage places in the area who really didn't have any interest in pursuing this for me. I'm willing to make reasonable offers and cover shipping. Shoot me a message if anyone hears anything. I really don't want to run an aftermarket class III under the factory class II if I can help it.

THANKS!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best wishes with that new to you EX; however, I would take a heavy turn on auto tranny reliability (e.g add an external aftermarket cooler/filter) if you are going to tow with it, as the 5R55Ws are not that sturdy as many have discovered.

Well you do know trailer pulling with an A/T equipped vehicle will add some heat to your tranny. Sure, a class III is a true bolt-on on a '02 to early '06 with a colusion repair rear clas III cross member.

If I was you I'd find out what makes a factory class III towing pack. I think kinda heavy duty cooling will be part of it, away from the 2" hitch receiver.

Had added a 5.000lbs tow bar to our '02 M/T 4.0... but M/Ts are complete different story.

I thought that 03's came with the 5R55S my door tag says TRANS: V which is supposed to be the 5r55s

Thanks for the tranny tip. I am leery as I blew the trans in my old '93 Ex by towing a trailer that was just too much for it (too many miles on the clock, too much stuff wrong with it, etc.).

I am not sure if my '97 Ex had the tow package or not, but it did handle anything that I needed to do (3000# boat, 2500# max utility trailer). I'm definitely looking into swapping the receiver to a class III and I may also look into the additional cooler.

Keep me posted on any factory class III cross members out there, please!

I have an 05 Eddie Bauer that originally came with the class 2 tow package (default). I went to a junkyard and got a class 3 hitch, then got it acid dipped and powdercoated (I live in MA, salty winters). I did no other modifications and I tow a 5000lb 21' Bryant Boat with no issues so far. I have a Scan Gauge to keep track of the tranny temp and I've never seen it get above 175. I think factory cooling is sufficient.

I have an 05 Eddie Bauer that originally came with the class 2 tow package (default). I went to a junkyard and got a class 3 hitch, then got it acid dipped and powdercoated (I live in MA, salty winters). I did no other modifications and I tow a 5000lb 21' Bryant Boat with no issues so far. I have a Scan Gauge to keep track of the tranny temp and I've never seen it get above 175. I think factory cooling is sufficient.

Good on you to keep an eye on that tranny temp under those conditions. Does that scan gage read remotely while driving (not familiar with that item).

The Class III/IV hitch that comes with the trailer towing package also gets you the auxiliary tranny cooler on the Ex.

Good on you to keep an eye on that tranny temp under those conditions. Does that scan gage read remotely while driving (not familiar with that item).

The Class III/IV hitch that comes with the trailer towing package also gets you the auxiliary tranny cooler on the Ex.

Yup, the Scan Gauge reads the tranny temp in real time off of the computer. These transmissions have a temperature sender inside the pan so it is actual oil temperature.

I'm pretty sure all Gen 3's have an auxiliary tranny cooler from the factory, regardless of motor/tow combination. I know mine does.

Back