Factory Fog lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Fog lights

I wanted to replace my factory fog lights with some new aftermarket ones like Hella or Piaa? Would i be able, or has anyone, spliced into the factory harness so that you could still use the factory fog switch? Plus a lot less wiring!

-Pat

Pat, I did that with the PIAA 1552's. While some people may not recommend it, I have not had a problem yet. Read this thread, I have some instructions and pics of where I connected the wires. If you have any questions, feel free to email me. Good luck. Dead Link Removed

Quite a few members here have done just that, including me. No problems so far.

When you use just the factory wiring you do not get a full 12+ volts to the lights and they are not as bright as they are ment to be.
You can use the factory wiring to turn on the lights using the PIAA or any aftermarket light set relay.
Install the lights per the mfg. BUT use the hot wire from the factory fogs to take the place of the switch wire on the relay. On a PIAA set it is the white/red wire comming out of the relay going to the switch. On a relay its # 85 pole.
Its not as hard as I may make it sound. Let me know and I can email you some pics after you get some lights.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
When you use just the factory wiring you do not get a full 12+ volts to the lights and they are not as bright as they are ment to be.
You can use the factory wiring to turn on the lights using the PIAA or any aftermarket light set relay.
Install the lights per the mfg. BUT use the hot wire from the factory fogs to take the place of the switch wire on the relay. On a PIAA set it is the white/red wire comming out of the relay going to the switch. On a relay its # 85 pole.
Its not as hard as I may make it sound. Let me know and I can email you some pics after you get some lights.

Umm, yeah, thats exactly what I did. Works great.

Back