Factory front mount tranny cooler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory front mount tranny cooler?

4x4exploder88

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer
I was just wondering if any 1st gen X came from the factory with an auxiliary tranny cooler. I replaced the radiator in my '92 EB and saw that the tranny lines "Y" and one side goes into the oil cooler in the radiator and the other goes into what looks like a front mount tranny cooler, both lines do this. I can get pics later if needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, my '93 Ex came with a tranny cooler because I ordered the towing package. And I am convinced that a major reason my transmission is still trouble-free at 250,000 miles is because of that cooler, along with good maintenance, adult driving, and 2WD.

In my opinion any first generation explorer should have a tranny cooler it will prolong the life of the tranny

Very good to know. Mine looks factory as hell and the only other owner of the truck was a law firm out of Cali that used the truck when they would fly here to Nashville. It is 4WD, but I don't think it was ever used(other than by me). I have been having the feeling that my tranny is like a ticking timebomb and this makes me feel a little better. i wonder if it was part of the HD cooling that is listed when I bought my radiator.

all first gens come with them

Since my transmission overheated recently I decided to bring this thread back up....

I hope to be pulling a 14ft. boat soon, but want to get some tranny issues worked out first.

Looking at the lines from the transmission, they "Y" off and run to both the auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator, and to the radiator cooler. My questions are, should I just run a bigger cooler/cooler with a fan, or should I disconnect the lines going to the radiator and just run straight to the aux. cooler?

Back