Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
Came across this, thought some may be interested.

I found the Factory Front skid plate that comes on 98+ Rangers. This should fit All 2nd Gen Explorers and 3rd Gen Sports and ST's

Not bad for $111.24 :rolleyes:

M-5018-R.jpg

Sold From Ford
Link

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:) Nice find...Off to the parts yard I go, I go!!

OK. This looks good but has anyone purchased one and tried to install on an X. I have a 01 XLT 4-door and would like some up front protection like this. I really don't like the way the exhaust pipe Y hangs down low below the engine. I don't know it is due to Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) status or not but it is definitely a weak spot for wheeling. I thought 01 was the first year for LEV status.

Does any know more about this skid plate for X use? It's large and looks like it would be good to protect the exhaust pipe. Also looks like it must be removed each time an oil change and oil filter change is performed which is no biggie for me since I use extended drain synthetic oil and only do once a year for oil and every 6 months for filter.

I have one on my '97 XLT and it fits very well. I punched a few holes in it to insure good ventilation (probably didn't need that many that large). I had to trim about one inch off of the plastic lip that hangs below the radiator. And I had to notch it in front of the front mounting tabs to accomodate the tubing I welded in for my TJM bumper brackets. It's a pretty tough piece of plate
Bruce-l

Attachments

• 111_1161a.jpg
    111_1161a.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,201

does it fit with all size radiators? my radiator is easily 2-3" larger downwards than others i've seen

If your radiator is really low you may have to use some square tubing to create a spacer between the front mounting tabs of the skid plate and the frame. Two, four inch pieces of two by two by 1/8 or 3/16 steel tubing should work fine. Remember I had to trim about an inch off of the bottom of the air lip/scoop thing on my radiator.

i dont have a lip/scoop on mine.... i have something like a big black box under and surrounding the bottom of the rad... i really want one of these i was even thinking of making one from a toyota fit

I'm guessing this thing isn't going to fit with a 3" BL? I'm thinking I'd need one that's a bit longer and with more of a bend in it right?

[edit] Wait, does this attach from the cross-member to the the frame or to the bumper itself?[/edit]

With a body lift the front lip of the skid plate will probably be exposed. If you don't have tools to do the work yourself, you could have a shop extend the nose of the skid plate by welding or riveting on a piece of solid metal or expanded metal mesh. Or they could use this plate as a model to make something one piece and cool. No problem is insurmountable.

dmasini said:
I'm guessing this thing isn't going to fit with a 3" BL? I'm thinking I'd need one that's a bit longer and with more of a bend in it right?

[edit] Wait, does this attach from the cross-member to the the frame or to the bumper itself?[/edit]

With your stock bumper you will not even see the gap at all. It mounts to the bottom of the frame rails in the front and to the bottom of the crossmember in back. My friend had a '01 Ranger with a 3" BL and the stock skid and it fit fine. The front stock skid didn't last too long after he followed me through a rutted out trail though. :(

Hmmm... for $112 it may be worth trying out. Wish I had some junk yards near me! ;)

Anyone tried on of these yet?? It's been stuck in my mind for awhile... Also, would I still be able to put a bull-bar on my X with one of these installed???

No more information on this?

I should have been more specific, anyone have any pictures? Any problems with the install? Even a slight modification needed?

It's odd, a friend of mine has a 98 Ranger and this is nowhere to be found. [Maybe it's because it's Mazda?..]

I didn't see any of these in the junk yard either......

I have one on my '97 XLT and it fits very well. I punched a few holes in it to insure good ventilation (probably didn't need that many that large). I had to trim about one inch off of the plastic lip that hangs below the radiator. And I had to notch it in front of the front mounting tabs to accomodate the tubing I welded in for my TJM bumper brackets. It's a pretty tough piece of plate
Bruce-l

Uhh did ya miss this?

Post #6 even has a picture

I should have been more specific, anyone have any pictures? Any problems with the install? Even a slight modification needed?

It's odd, a friend of mine has a 98 Ranger and this is nowhere to be found. [Maybe it's because it's Mazda?..]

I didn't see any of these in the junk yard either......
Are you seeing the same thread I am?

Hi said:
Bruce-l

Attachments

• attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,712

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome!

I dig the plate.

Back