• Register Today It's free!

Factory "limited slip"

jeepinjoey

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explore sport
I just picked up a 1998 Explorer sport, Just wondering what type of factory "limited slip" Ford used in the Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They use clutch packs if thats what your asking. Does your Explorer have the limited slip? Not all do. You can check the door tag for the axle code. Axle Codes - Located on the driver's door

Explorer
Code Type Capacity Ratio
43 Open 3200 3.08
41 Open 3200 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3200 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73

Welcome to the site. There is tons of info here, and people who can answer almost any question about these trucks.

OK, checked door sticker, I have the D4 axle 3.73 Limited slip 3200. So what type of Limited slip is used by Ford in the Explorers?

What different kinds are there? I thought a limited slip was a limited slip. It uses steel and fiber clutch packs with springs. It has a breakaway of about 20ft lbs.

There are many type of Limited slips, that is just a general term. There is posi trasc, true trac, auburn, just to name a few. I am new to Fords, obviously I work with JEEPS alot. I was just wondering what ford uses, so I could study up on it. Thanks

LS repair

Can you cleanup or repair your LS to working condition. I don't know what 20ft-lbs feels like, but I can easily rotate my tire by hand.

There are rebuild kits available for the Ford LS.

Ford calls it trac-loc, not sure who actually makes it.

I think they are just different names, I think they all work basically the same. You can get a rebuild kit with all the clutch packs for under $75. I;m going to rebuild mine when it gets a little warmer. I just need to find out how many extra clutches I'm going to put in to beef it up a little.
I don't know what 20ft-lbs feels like, but I can easily rotate my tire by hand.
You are supposed to have one wheel on the ground, and test the torque of the one in the air.

When I replaced the clutches in my BII (7.5 axle), the instructions I used were from a Mitchell manual. The manual had lumped the instructions for Ford, Jeep, and others together. The unit appears to be built by Dana (hence the "D" in the axle code??) and I got the impression that it was the same as the LS unit put in Jeep axles, in the late '80's anyway.

Like Alec said, you have a Trac-Loc limited slip. The Trac-Locs put in Jeeps are often called "craplocs" or "trashlocs" by Jeepers, but the Ford one in the 8.8 seems to perform much better than the ones put in Jeeps. It does not grip as good as an Auburn or Eaton though.

Back