• Register Today It's free!

Factory oil coolers on the ST?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Can anyone confirm if the ST comes with an external engine oil cooler and an auxiliary transmission oil cooler? Any idea about an oil cooler for any of the differentials or transfer case?

The external oil cooler would be right next to the oil filter with 2 rubber coolant hoses assuming they use the same one designed for the F-series 2.7, but the trans oil cooler might be a bit tougher to identify...

My 2017 Fusion Sport has an external oil-to-air trans cooler (mounted in the front fascia) and an external oil-to-water trans cooler (mounted on top of the 6F55), with a oil-to-water cooler for the transfer case - but no engine oil cooler. Ford normally reserves an engine oil cooler for vehicles that tow, and my 2018 Explorer XLT has a tow package which comes with an engine oil cooler (but no trans coolers other than the one integrated into the radiator).

The 2020 Order Guide states that an engine oil cooler is standard on all series. I don't know if that answers one of your questions.

Peter

If you search the forum I believe you will find a number of posts regarding leaking transmission coolers and puddles of coolant under the vehicle. While I don't know for certain, that would imply the ST has a transmission cooler, though perhaps not of the best design / implementation.

Back