• Register Today It's free!

Factory pin stripe

Pete Deering

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 xlt 4 door 4x4
What is everyone doing for replacing factory pin stripe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy a universal striping kit. I’m sure the OE ones are long gone.

gerald (gjarrett) put pinstripes from universal products iirc but it wasnt like the factory one. i suppose custom could be done if you want the exact same look at stock all OE is gone, except those that are intact still on factory ones.

A google search?
A&Z New Roll Vinyl Pinstriping Pin Stripe DIY Self Adhesive Line Car Tape Decal Stickers 1/12 inch & 1/6 inch 32 Ft https://a.co/d/dASrBKs

Call a local mom and pop body shop. They could probably roll one on, or paint a stripe for you if you want something better.

There is a body line all the way around the truck, right where the factory pinstripe was applied. You can get pin striping at specialty auto body shops, in almost any color, You can find the more common stripes at most of local auto parts store. There are single stripes. Double stripes. Almost any width or color. Easy to apply. But the (semi-reflective?) OEM style will be almost impossible to find, as stated above. You can do anything you would like…

Here is what II did…… delete factory pin stripe. Then replace the pin stripe up to front door, and run stripe up to meet front glass cowling. Then black paint above the top stripe. These are not the greatest of pictures, but should help show what I have done. PICTURES BELOW.

Black black paint on top section of truck looked pretty awkward, until the double pin stripe was applied. The top stripe cleaned up the line from my black paint, and the lower stripe just allowed the dark green to transition. Sort of hard to explain, but looked much better after the stripes I added. And for me, I liked ending the stripe at the rear edge of the front fender. This allowed for uninterrupted hood flames. 🔥. i always wanted a truck with flames, a functional hood scoop, and a nice stance!!!

So enjoy your project, do whatever you want!

E5143004-E1C6-4A85-8D24-7385E090975B.jpeg 24DA53B4-18B0-4594-9F71-F436F32AF0EA.jpeg DD3DEE9E-0B1A-445A-A81F-8C3243659F96.jpeg 30EBBC35-EEFF-4BE2-B2CF-5D26657BCD3C.jpeg

There is a body line all the way around the truck, right where the factory pinstripe was applied. You can get pin striping at specialty auto body shops, in almost any color, You can find the more common stripes at most of local auto parts store. There are single stripes. Double stripes. Almost any width or color. Easy to apply. But the (semi-reflective?) OEM style will be almost impossible to find, as stated above. You can do anything you would like…

Here is what II did…… delete factory pin stripe. Then replace the pin stripe up to front door, and run stripe up to meet front glass cowling. Then black paint above the top stripe. These are not the greatest of pictures, but should help show what I have done. PICTURES BELOW.

Black black paint on top section of truck looked pretty awkward, until the double pin stripe was applied. The top stripe cleaned up the line from my black paint, and the lower stripe just allowed the dark green to transition. Sort of hard to explain, but looked much better after the stripes I added. And for me, I liked ending the stripe at the rear edge of the front fender. This allowed for uninterrupted hood flames. 🔥. i always wanted a truck with flames, a functional hood scoop, and a nice stance!!!

So enjoy your project, do whatever you want!

View attachment 434704 View attachment 434705 View attachment 434706 View attachment 434707
Gosh I love the way your truck looks..... details

Your hood scoop works how do you keep the rain out

Gosh I love the way your truck looks..... details

Your hood scoop works how do you keep the rain out
HOOD SCOOP, art and mechanIcs: There is no barrier for rain and snow, But for some mysterious physics reason which is above my understanding, the air just above the hood is relatively calm.

I cut a rectangle of the OEM insulation blanket out from under the hood below the scoop. Then used a step drill bit to make a series of holes through the hood, under the scoop. It seemed like it really should be functional in some way!!! Should let hot air out, or cold air in. Snow melts first in circles on the scoop above where the holes have been drilled. So there is airflow for sure.

The hood scoop is aftermarket for Mustangs. It is actually the third, best looking, scoop that I attached. The first scoop was so small it looked like a mail slot on the hood. The second scoop was larger, but just looked ok. This third scoop looked best. The scoop is bolted down and taped with 3M two sided adhesive tape, as the idea of just taping it to the hood, and maybe having it come flying off on the highway, perhaps through the windshield, seemed disturbing. And seemed flimsy.

Thought about painting it dark green, like the OEM paint. But a kind gentleman at a custom Hot Rod shop advised me to use black so the existing flames would look like they were consistent with the scoop. Really, the scoop sits on certain parts of the flames, but the black scoop does not really show that.

Had to remove forward facing sting ray type fins from the leading corners of the scoop, as they were not what I was looking for. Although I did not know it at the time, this reduced the structural support for the forward edge of the scoop. After installation, the leading edge of the modified scoop vibrated and shook while driving. Dang. So to support the leading edge, I used PVC sprinkler end-caps, which I cut to size and painted black. To cut the pvc end-caps, I screwed them both to a board, then used a chop saw to cut the ends. The cuts came out perfectly sized, identical, and flat. Then, after using adhesion promoter, painted the end caps black.

Fastened the end-caps with more double sided 3M adhesive tape, which was again heated before final attachemnt. Parked the truck in the hot sun, and put about twenty pounds of weight on the scoop to secure the installation. You can see the end caps in the picture under the front edge of scoop; they are unique and consistent with the image of the scoop and truck.

Finally. used 5200 Marine adhesive along the outside edge to keep the outer edges of the scoop from moving and digging into the paint over time. No problems since…. Good times.

Sorry to jump on a thread about stripes.. just more art.

Conclusion: You can do whatever you want!

Back