factory remote start / 06 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

factory remote start / 06 explorer

clearwaterms

Reaction score
City, State
near chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 xlt v6 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't get Ford instructions, beware...

Just suggesting that this be installed using Ford. They will be happy to send you the installation guide, but you know the risks, so I don't need to list them. I wanted one for my Ex, but opted out after hearing how it works and the dangers it presents.

Circuit City also installs these things, you could ask them also. Good luck!

...but opted out after hearing how it works and the dangers it presents.

Donner, could you ellaborate on the dangers? Are you refering to it somehow disabling the OEM security system?

Thanks

I would like to know the dangers also. I have been a professional installer for over 8 years. I have a remote start in my 06 explorer works great, never a problem.

Donner, could you ellaborate on the dangers? Are you refering to it somehow disabling the OEM security system?

Thanks

Still would really appreciate to hear of the "dangers" before I put this unit in this winter. Thanks.

Sorry about the delay... I didn't see.

Thanks

My concerns are probably paranoia, but I just feel it's best to start your vehicle when you are behind the wheel. I would only say that there is a key inside your vehicle (on most auto start systems) which opens your vehicle to theft. Also, if you lost your remote or the kids got ahold of it, there are things that could go wrong. I'm not sure about this one because I don't live in the snow areas, but if your tailpipe is covered and you start your engine, your vehicle fills with gases... and for the people that leave their kids in the car (or on the hood), this might not be a great option.

PM me if you don't hear back... sorry about that.

Nothing wrong with how they work...

I would like to know the dangers also. I have been a professional installer for over 8 years. I have a remote start in my 06 explorer works great, never a problem.

The problems we have here in CA: Theft, and human error. I don't say the car will start itself up and drive off... I'm saying that most people need to be behind the wheel when they operate their vehicle. If you can't get in your car and wait 15-30 seconds for a warm up, that's about how long it takes to buckle up and get organized, that's understandable... Back in the day when it took 10 minutes to warm up a car, I don't think there was an auto start. For people that live in cold areas, I assume they come outside dressed properly, and can start the vehicle when they get in. If they choose to come out naked or half dressed, well... :D

It's an option, but there are dangers.

One last thing...

Central CA stolen car rate is among the worst... There are about 8 cities there that are in the top 12 worst for stolen cars. The auto start is an additional advantage to a thief. CA in general has an issue with gta... why leave a key in the car? :salute:

Here is the thing with a remote starter in an EX. With having the PATS system you need to bypass it. There is a few ways of doing this. you can either "hide" a factory key in the car in a bypass box. This is usually hidden under the dash so that you cant find it. Also with our trucks buy an unprogramed, un-cut key, go through the programming steps, when you need to turn on the new uncut key energize up the ignition wire, So steps would be frist stock key turn it on until the security light goes out (dont start the truck), do the same with the second stock key, then with the uncut place it in the key cylinder and energize up the ignition wire and when the light goes out it is now programed. Now you can use this one to "hide" in the car. Since its uncut you can never start the truck. All its good for is the remote start.
I have done this for years on many fords.

THere is also bypass modules that you only need a key to program it, then there is no key in the car.

Here is the thing with a remote starter in an EX. With having the PATS system you need to bypass it. There is a few ways of doing this. you can either "hide" a factory key in the car in a bypass box. This is usually hidden under the dash so that you cant find it. Also with our trucks buy an unprogramed, un-cut key, go through the programming steps, when you need to turn on the new uncut key energize up the ignition wire, So steps would be frist stock key turn it on until the security light goes out (dont start the truck), do the same with the second stock key, then with the uncut place it in the key cylinder and energize up the ignition wire and when the light goes out it is now programed. Now you can use this one to "hide" in the car. Since its uncut you can never start the truck. All its good for is the remote start.
I have done this for years on many fords.

THere is also bypass modules that you only need a key to program it, then there is no key in the car.

isn't that what the securilock kit does, and thats the reason, im using the factory kit

It may be but without a instruction guide i cant tell. You can find many online from companies like bypasskits.com. I would also recommend an aftermarket alarm. I have seen some of the older factory units and the range sucks on them. like maybe 100 feet or so.

I'm looking to get the factory remote starter because I wish to just have one key FOB.

I'm still a bit confused on factory add-on remote start/alarm combo. Someone on this forum posted that the add-on alarm feature does not work with the door keypad entry (keypad will not disable alarm)....since I use the keypad all the time, this is a big turn-off for me in how I use the truck.

At the same time, does the remote starter module disable some of the features of the factory door intrusion horn honking alarm (other than the PATS concerns)? If not, then why add the starter/alarm combo? Does the alarm module add a motion sensor? If not, I don't see the purpose of the "alarm" (which still used the factory horn from my understanding).

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks

you may want to look into the "factory" alarm you have. On my xls its just a glorified horn honker with a blinking light on the dash. Meaning the only theft on the truck is the PATS. In my years of professional installing and since the 06 they have not had an actual factory alarm. Pre 06 they did (on some models). One way to check is to lock your door with the switch inside. press it twice and shut the door. with the window open reach in and unlock it with the knob next to the window then open it from the inside handle. If the horn honks then you have an actual alarm if it doesnt then you dont. let the truck sit for a minute or so before opening the door.

I will also let you know that ANY aftermarket alarm/starter will get you atleast 4-5 time the range of that factory unit. They also make alarms that you can control via internet, phone. Like in my truck I have an audiovox alarm. I have an add-on phone piece that i can call a 1-800 number and start my truck from ANYWHERE in the US. Or unlock my door or so any alarm function. Also with an aftermarket alarm/starter you will only have one remote. It will do all your functions and then that your factory does.

That's what it is!

you may want to look into the "factory" alarm you have. On my xls its just a glorified horn honker with a blinking light on the dash. Meaning the only theft on the truck is the PATS. In my years of professional installing and since the 06 they have not had an actual factory alarm. Pre 06 they did (on some models). One way to check is to lock your door with the switch inside. press it twice and shut the door. with the window open reach in and unlock it with the knob next to the window then open it from the inside handle. If the horn honks then you have an actual alarm if it doesnt then you dont. let the truck sit for a minute or so before opening the door.

I will also let you know that ANY aftermarket alarm/starter will get you atleast 4-5 time the range of that factory unit. They also make alarms that you can control via internet, phone. Like in my truck I have an audiovox alarm. I have an add-on phone piece that i can call a 1-800 number and start my truck from ANYWHERE in the US. Or unlock my door or so any alarm function. Also with an aftermarket alarm/starter you will only have one remote. It will do all your functions and then that your factory does.

Hi there! Thank you for mentioning this, I want one of those alarms that will call you if there's problems; also my current alarm is a Viper transplant from my 96. Once in a while, it makes sounds, abnormal sounds... 1. Is it time to get a new alarm; 2. can you recommend a good system w/the call feature; and can they have the horn make the alarm sound instead of that siren?

Price range about $300 fair? :cool:

Well first off. I am not a believer in "transplanting" alarms into other cars. I had a ranger before my ex that I put a nice 2-way alarm starter in 3 months before i got my ex and I just left it in there.
To me new car=new alarm/starter
So to answer your questions,
1. yes, I would get a new one.
2. there is only one out (well about to be out soon if not already) that will call you and that is the autopage C3 models. There is add-on gps tracking devices that you can add to alarms, but they charge you a monthly service charge.

I personally have the auiovox alarm with their telematics piece. With this there is NO activation fee and NO monthly fee. But it does not call me if th alarm is going off. I can only call it to do the remote functions.

There are many good brands. DEI, Autopage, Audiovox, Compustar, Astrostart (now DEI).

But the most important thing to keep in mind is when its installed get it done by a good installer. you can take a cheap alarm and have a great installer and never have problems, or you can get a great alarm with a bad installer and have problems. Look for a good shop in your area.

Depends on the features that you are looking for, $300 may be do-able. An alarm with keyless, remote start that is a 1-way unit may start at the $300 range.

I know that alarms are expensive, but is a small fraction as to what your truck is worth.

PS. not to mention your in california what do you need a remote starter for anyways. Im in Minnesota i woke up to a frigid 9 above zero today.

damn, thats annoying. You're absolutey right....horn didn't honk when I tried to unlock from inside. I guess I made a poor assumption in thinking that my 06 at least had the same features as my 99 EB. The flashing light sure looks fancy though.

Can anyone else with the factory alarm add-on confirm that the door keyless entry will not disarm it (like on older models)? I'm amazed if they don't work together....ok, given the way my trasmission shifts...I guess I wouldn't be too surprised. :mad:

As I bought my Explorer pre-owned, I wanted to see what kind of alarm (if any) I had and I must be missing something, should I lock the doors with the inside door lock switch or remote and which knob should I unlock it with before opening the door with the inside handle?

My Explorer also has a remote starter but I'm sure it is not Ford's. It says Omega on the little black antenna mounted on the windshield near the headliner as well as having a separate remote for it.

While poking under the dash, I did come across a tiny red button (not mounted, but loose) that had a red and black wire attached to it. Any idea if this would perhaps be a valet switch for an alarm or anything to do with the remote start?

Thanks ....

Thank you!

Well first off. I am not a believer in "transplanting" alarms into other cars. I had a ranger before my ex that I put a nice 2-way alarm starter in 3 months before i got my ex and I just left it in there.
To me new car=new alarm/starter
So to answer your questions,
1. yes, I would get a new one.
2. there is only one out (well about to be out soon if not already) that will call you and that is the autopage C3 models. There is add-on gps tracking devices that you can add to alarms, but they charge you a monthly service charge.

I personally have the auiovox alarm with their telematics piece. With this there is NO activation fee and NO monthly fee. But it does not call me if th alarm is going off. I can only call it to do the remote functions.

There are many good brands. DEI, Autopage, Audiovox, Compustar, Astrostart (now DEI).

But the most important thing to keep in mind is when its installed get it done by a good installer. you can take a cheap alarm and have a great installer and never have problems, or you can get a great alarm with a bad installer and have problems. Look for a good shop in your area.

Depends on the features that you are looking for, $300 may be do-able. An alarm with keyless, remote start that is a 1-way unit may start at the $300 range.

I know that alarms are expensive, but is a small fraction as to what your truck is worth.

PS. not to mention your in california what do you need a remote starter for anyways. Im in Minnesota i woke up to a frigid 9 above zero today.

I will get another alarm system... thank you! (no remote start for me) 9 degrees?? Enjoy! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I bought my Explorer pre-owned, I wanted to see what kind of alarm (if any) I had and I must be missing something, should I lock the doors with the inside door lock switch or remote and which knob should I unlock it with before opening the door with the inside handle?

With my 99 EB, the horn would honk if you locked the doors with the key FOB, waited a few minutes for system to arm itself, and then tried to unlock from inside or pull inside handle. If I remember correctly, I could get the same result by locking with inside switch as I got out.....or with keyless entry.

Back