Factory Roof Rack Removal.

pvstansel

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
1994 XLT Explorer.

How does one remove the Factory/OEM roof rack? Specifically, I'd like to remove the black rails inset in the roof. While the main outer rails seems to be fastened with philips screws, the inner rails seem to be fastened to the roof with rivets or ??.

What is the best way to remove these inner rails?

(the Explorer has lived it entire life near the beach. There is some medium-sized rust damage in a few areas under these inner rails. I'd like to remove the rails, address the rust damage (probably fiberglass repair), and replace them if possible).

Thanks in advance for any tips or advise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think you can just drill the washer off. just enough to get the washer off.

its not even drilling it it's just enough to break the washer off on the revit.

Roof Rack Removal

I have some rot on my roof as well. I am going to have a body shop fix it as I don't have the place, tools, or equipment to handle the job.
I got a quote from a local body shop of $1300 to repair (cut out bad and weld in new, finish and paint) all the rust that is currently showing on the vehicle but I have to remove the roof rack and headliner.

Pics at: http://www.keysgeek.com/roofrot/

My plan is to install some rivnuts up there after I drill out the rivets. If the Rivnuts are properly sealed when installed, I can put a screw and sealing washer in to close them off from the environment leaving me the opportunity of reinstalling the rack at a later date if desired.

Rivnut info: http://www.cardinalcomponents.com/fasteners.htm

My 2 cents. Bill

That is weird for the roof to rust like that. If the top of your truck has those problems, I can't imagine how the rockers and doglegs look!

Good luck

mines rusting on the side groves just chipped pain im gonna sand it myself and paint it.

That is weird for the roof to rust like that. If the top of your truck has those problems, I can't imagine how the rockers and doglegs look!

Good luck

Well, it started out life in New Hampshire near the seacoast and then, after 9 years it moved to the Florida Keys where it is never more than 100 yards from the ocean so it has seen its share of salt spray up there and down here even a slight wind carries the salt air. The rust got started under 4 or 5 of the rivets and has grown, but it is time to get it fixed before the hurricane season starts next month.

The rockers and doglegs are fine. Just the two small spots over the rear wheels and drivers door.

Back