• Register Today It's free!

factory running boards

dondiesel444

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 4.0L 4x4 XLT
I'd like to remove the factory running boards on our 96 X, they are usless b/c X's are so low to the ground to begin with, and I think they look stupid with bigger tires.

Do I just unbolt them, or is there a piece I need in place of the running board?? It looks like X's w/o running boards have a little trim piece where the running board would be, do I need to get this, or is it under the factory running board??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will need the trim/rocker molding. i recently took mine off. they are easy to get off, just alot of bolts on the body, and a couple on the brackets-to-'boards. once off, you will see that there are many holes down the side that are very ugly. get the rocker molding to cover them up.

just curious, where did you get the rocker trim cover?? I will check the 2 big salvage yards in the next few days, about how much should I expect to pay??

Thanks!!

i bought mine used from a moderator here for $50+ shipping. they were in pretty good shape. more than likely you will have to repaint them, so minor scratches or chips are no big deal. new from FoMoCo they are way more $$$ than i would spend. from what i remember, they were well over $400 new for all 4 (short piece at front, long piece over the remainder). i would assume $50 or less would be a fair price.

bare in mind, the 95-97 have the larger "ground effect" style, and the 98-up's have a smaller, thinner design that flares out on both ends.

here is the 95-97 style...
Dead Link Removed

and here is the 98-up style...
http://www.explorerforum.com/data/502/10040look_at_that_chrome-med.jpg

hard to tell from the pics, but the 98-ups are a little smaller.

One last question, will the 98 style fit my 96?? I asume it will.

they would have to, as the running boards interchange. i assume because of this so would the rocker molding.

does anyone know where i could find thse moldings (preferably on the internet), becuase there arent any junk yards that i know of in the baltimore area.

Back