• Register Today It's free!

Factory stereo wiring complete?

codestar7

Reaction score
City, State
The Forests Of Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 / 1998 explorer
Just "ANOTHER" stereo question. My 1998 XLT Explorer came stock with a combo unit, AM/FM/Cassette, CD, Premium stereo with out the base amp in the rear. I have the head unit from a 2002 Crown Vic Town car. Does any one know if the wiring for the 6 CD changer will be in the rear under the seat or will I have to wire it?
Thanks Chris :salute:

If the changer wiring is there, it's inside the center console on the Ex. There isn't anything under the rear seat, not sure where you had that info from. If you don't have a full length center console, you won't have the wiring at all. I don't know if that Crown Vic head unit will work though. Doubt it has rear control capability, and the harnesses are probably different. Post up a few pics and the part number.

If the changer wiring is there, it's inside the center console on the Ex. There isn't anything under the rear seat, not sure where you had that info from. If you don't have a full length center console, you won't have the wiring at all. I don't know if that Crown Vic head unit will work though. Doubt it has rear control capability, and the harnesses are probably different. Post up a few pics and the part number.
"If the changer wiring is there, it's inside the center console on the Ex"
I don't have any information, I was guessing about the rear seat. I've never seen an explorer with the changer installed. I am looking for just this type of information. That's why I posted the question. It's how we learn. Ask questions, listen to the answers.

Back