Factory Subwoofer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Subwoofer

Newport5003

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
I'm interested in replacing the sub woofer in my 01 sport trac. I just replaced the speakers with Pioneer TS-A6872R's and I replaced the factory radio with an Alpine CDA-9884 receiver.

When I asked Crutchfield about replacing the sub woofer, they had no idea what I was talking about and said that Sport Tracs don't have one. Well obviously they are wrong, because when I remove the back panel it's clearly there.

I want to change the sub woofer because the bass is just terrible, and it's a shame that I spend $400 on sound equipment and I still don't have the sound that I would like.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Also, I'd like to get the most for my money and not go too crazy. Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To get the most sound for your money take the stock sub out throw it in the trash. By an enclosure that fits back there and put in a couple 8" subs with an amp.

Here is my setup:
DSC00141.gif

DSC00145.gif

DSC00147.gif

Hey! thanks for the response and nice set up! I'm going to look into what you have going on, I saw a similar set up but the price was over $500. I might just wind up buying bazookas and stick them under the rear seats.

Which do you think would be the cheapest/easiest?

i have a question about the factory sub also, i want to keep my factory head unit, i really like the 6 cd changer, and have my sub hooked up, but last time i tried to do this it didnt work, at all. i bought a rca converter from walmart, and pretty much guessed at the wireing, and i tried every possibilty. and a few blown fuses later i gave up. NOW my question is has anyone done this? or now the wireing color codes?

Chad, very nice setup btw. very clean. I unforutnatly have a 15 sub so a "behind the seat" thing wont work lol

A funny thing happend when took my factory sub out, There are four wires, and four connections on the sub, but only two were connected + & -. well I said why is this? so i connected all of them, and this made a DRAMATIC increase of bass. I was VERY suprised this was like this. lol. Just a note in case someone out there wants more power out of their factory sub.

interesting... im gonna have to try that project_sparta. id rather not have to spend 200+ on subwoofers if i dont have to, especially where the economy is and everything. I thought about it the other day and decided to just suck it up and deal with the poor bass.

yea its alot better if you dont want to get a new radio, wiring, subs, amp, box, capicitor, and fuses. all this could cost you a GREAT deal of money. Im not saying that doing that will do near as good as a aftermarket sub, but it does make a big difference.

Ok, i wound up buying a sub. But now i'm having issues hooking the amp up to the battery. Does anyone know where I can run the wire through without drilling holes? (and preferably down the left side of the truck) This thing seems pretty well sealed. it's an 01 sport trac.

look under your stering wheel and there are some rubber gaskets that lead to the engine bay. I ran a wire through one of those easily.

I figured it out yesterday, but thanks anyway! I wound up using a coat hanger to puncture a small hole into one of the little rubber things then i ran the wire to the battery. Definitely loving the new sound! It was night and day compared to the factory subwoofer which I don't even think worked.

Do you have schematics for those boxes?
(This was to chad. Lol I love when I ask questions that seem like they're directed to noone in particular.)

Back