Factory tranny cooler

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Do all late model X's have factory aux tranny coolers or just ones with a tow package?

The manual states that the 4L and 5L have the same one but stops short to say whether they all have them....

I want to put a second one on my X for towing my camper.

Tx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not all explorers had the cooler...... if the tow package was equipped it probably has one, however it might not... many dealers also added this after .... is there a mini radiator thing on the driver side in front of the ac condensor with 2 lines that go to it?

Yup, mine has a cooler on the passanger side..along with the one in the radiator.

It seems a bit small for towing 6600# though.

I beleive that all first generation explorers with auto tranny had a cooler. It was rather small, but at least they had one. My 97 ex, never had one. It does have the 5 speed tranny though and one would think that ford would have put one in the newer trucks as well. I ended up installing one in mine from a 2001 5.0 litre model explorer. Bolted right up to the holes that were punched in the rad support and just had to plumb it into the existing cooler lines.

Originally posted by jimabena74
...... if the tow package was equipped it probably has one, however it might not... many dealers also added this after .... is there a mini radiator thing on the driver side in front of the ac condensor with 2 lines that go to it?

If a second generation came from the factory iwith a towing package, it has an auxillary cooler.

The small cooler works well; I tow a Jeep on a tandom trailer in hot Florida weather with no problems.

Back