Factory Window Tint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Window Tint

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
Does anyone know what % the factory window tint is on 1. The front sides windows and 2. all the rear windows?

I am wanting to have my front sides tinted to match all of the rear.

Also is there any such thing as permanent non film tint that can be added?

Oh and before anyone mentions laws, my State's are as follows:
  • Front Side windows: Must allow more than 25% of light in.
  • Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
  • Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.
So that means can go up to 74.9% blockage on the front sides. I doubt the rear is more than that, I just want it matched.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know what % the factory window tint is on 1. The front sides windows and 2. all the rear windows?

I am wanting to have my front sides tinted to match all of the rear.

Also is there any such thing as permanent non film tint that can be added?

I think factory tint is in the glass itself. Not sure of %, but would like my front side windows dark as back. I'll get to that when I solve the fu&$in' Oxygen Sensor issue! Goes 100 miles, then BANK, CEL on. "Oxygen Sensor Heater Resistance", that's all it says, other than which sensor. Tried propane idle speed test looking for intake gasket leak, negative. Squirted propane directly into intake in front of mass air sensor, that changed nothing, too! I'm doubtful about this test now. imp

Tech, I think in Texas there is some TxDOT provision that front windows cannot be tinted as much as passenger and rear hatch glass. Something about LE not being able to see inside an automobile at night, or somesuch. I have the factory dark tinted glass and really like it on super hot days in DFW!

Tech, I think in Texas there is some TxDOT provision that front windows cannot be tinted as much as passenger and rear hatch glass. Something about LE not being able to see inside an automobile at night, or somesuch. I have the factory dark tinted glass and really like it on super hot days in DFW!

You must have posted this before I got my edit addition done, please re read.

First time up for inspection after moving to Missouri, the "Official Test" station ******* ripped my tint off ALL my windows, 1993 Cobra! Did it before I even knew WTH was going on. Illegal in MO! Really pissed me off! imp

You must have posted this before I got my edit addition done, please re read.

Yeah, must have been pretty close.. I thought there were some type of restrictions. Although 74.9% seems like it would be pretty dark, especially at night.

First time up for inspection after moving to Missouri, the "Official Test" station ******* ripped my tint off ALL my windows, 1993 Cobra! Did it before I even knew WTH was going on. Illegal in MO! Really pissed me off! imp

Interesting that they actually did the 'repair' at the Inspection Station. Usually don't they just fail the vehicle and tell you to fix it and get it re-inspected? I'd be pretty po'd also if I saw some inspection dude tearing ANYTHING of my vehicle!!!

Question still remains, what % are the factory tints (front and rear).

Need to know because if I decide to go with EBay instead of a local professional I need to know what factory I am combining it with so that I don't exceed the legal limit.

To be safe, find a tint shop or safety inspection station and have them check with a meter. Should take just a few seconds.

Looks like the rear is 20% (http://tinyurl.com/zf8j93b (had to use tinyurl it's at Explorer-Talk)) so won't be able to get a perfect match since the lowest can legally go is 25.1% on the front.

Also looks like I have to scratch the EBay idea because Texas requires certified film and stickers indicating so.

Certificates: Film manufacturers need to certify the film they sell in the state. Check with your dealer if they are using certified film.
Stickers:The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on the driver’s side window.

So I'm just going to have to go to a tint place and tell them to bring the front sides down as low as legal if can not match the rear. After looking at laws around the US I am guessing the factory tint on the fronts is probably 70%.

Now the rears I can use ebay tint. I'll probably leave the rear passengers alone, but the cargo area I want limo dark (5%) because I'm going to be adding a subwoofer in there soon and don't want it to be seen, not to mention stuff when shopping. Am I doing this math right? Assuming the rear factory is 20% I need to get 25% film to reduce it to 5% ???

Interesting that they actually did the 'repair' at the Inspection Station. Usually don't they just fail the vehicle and tell you to fix it and get it re-inspected? I'd be pretty po'd also if I saw some inspection dude tearing ANYTHING of my vehicle!!!

In MO, the inspection stations were actually private businesses, gas stations and the like, licensed by the state to do the inspections. It was a pretty crooked business, actually, because the station got fifteen bucks fee, had to fill out a form with check marks for brakes, horn, lights, etc. One guy I got to know had the only gas station in town, filled out the form in his office, took the dough, went outside and stuck the OK sticker on the windshield, never checked a damned thing!

What really ticked me was, when I did the tint, I tore apart the inner door panels, to get the tint material below the "wipes" the glass rode against. It was a neat, clean job, the guy just ripped it off before I knew what was happening!

In MO, the inspection stations were actually private businesses, gas stations and the like, licensed by the state to do the inspections. It was a pretty crooked business, actually, because the station got fifteen bucks fee, had to fill out a form with check marks for brakes, horn, lights, etc. One guy I got to know had the only gas station in town, filled out the form in his office, took the dough, went outside and stuck the OK sticker on the windshield, never checked a damned thing!

What really ticked me was, when I did the tint, I tore apart the inner door panels, to get the tint material below the "wipes" the glass rode against. It was a neat, clean job, the guy just ripped it off before I knew what was happening!

I would have sued him to have it replaced because "I'd be giving the car to a friend in a state where the tint is legal if it was not going to pass".

Also I never leave my vehicle at inspection places or shops or anything. I ride with for the brake test. Drive it in myself at the tire shop.

Just to let you know, factory untinted/clear glass still has a small percentage of tint in it. Not 100% sure, but it might be 3%. My tint/clearbra guy in CO told me that. To be legal, he could only tint 30%, since that 3% would bring that down to the 27% legal.

I used to tint my own windows, and am considering doing my Explorer. A company I've bought tint from previously is Tap Plastics. Mine was in Sacramento, but I see they have locations in Texas -- you might ask them

Just to let you know, factory untinted/clear glass still has a small percentage of tint in it. Not 100% sure, but it might be 3%. My tint/clearbra guy in CO told me that. To be legal, he could only tint 30%, since that 3% would bring that down to the 27% legal.

If he added 30% tint to bring it down to a legal 27% then your factory tint was 90%.

0.30 * x = 0.27
Solve for x, x= 0.90

I wonder if this would be acceptable if I go with EBay tint...

4ik1aw.jpg

Seems ridiculous for a state to force everyone to get professional installation just for a damn sticker.

BTW, the reason I'm all of a sudden wanting tint badly is because the arm rest on the door is too low for me so my arm is always resting in the window and lately I have noticed that my left arm is darker than my right arm!!! The little bit of tint in the factory front side glass is obviously not blocking 100% of all UV types.

FYI, the OEM tint does not block any great amount of UV rays. It's in the glass and to make them darker only.

Window tint added usually blocks 99% of UV rays. You can buy "clear" tint that blocks all UV rays, and put that on the windshield, and the existing OEM tinted glass. Think about the dash and how the sun ruins it eventually.

Most of those clear tints still block 10% or more of light, just as any untinted glass blocks about 10% of light. I'm going to use that on all of mine except the front doors, which will get tinted to match the rest.

For the price I'm thinking about going with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/311313019384 and my home made sticker. Just need to find out what the front sides are already at so I know what to combine with it.

Why are you looking at eBay for tint film? Why not go to you local tint shop and buy some from them?

I think there is spray can tint available. I would think results would be far from perfect though...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why are you looking at eBay for tint film? Why not go to you local tint shop and buy some from them?

I think there is spray can tint available. I would think results would be far from perfect though...

Because I want computer precut and I want it cheap. I also don't want a roll then I'll have tons left over because the rear is going to require a different %.

Also, I live in the middle of nowhere, it's 60 miles to a "city" with tint shops, local small towns don't have them unless the Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealers do it which I doubt.

Back