Faded black pillar trim panels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Faded black pillar trim panels?

I've got a 2002 Explorer and like every other Ford van and SUV out there, the black trim on the pillars is faded. It's actually just the upper portion of each panel and it looks like clear coat that is chipping off. It almost looks like they are just flat black plastic that has been sprayed with a coat of clear.

Is there any solution to this other than repainting?

One would think that as long as they have hadthis problem, Ford would have come up with a better finish by now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mask off the area and repaint it with Krylon fusion spray paint and then clear coat it. that would save you much worries and headaches from looking at it. theres a member here whose done it not sure the name but look around and you can find his post

Agreed, its fast and easy, and a really close color match.

Will the krylon job last a while?

I thought about taking it to a friend who has a body shop and having him paint them to match the body color. The pillars between the rear door and cargo area are body colored and it looks pretty good.

i would recomend krylon over other brands as its held up much longer when i used it on other vehicles, havnt had a reason to use it on my ex yet. just make sure you clearcoat it a few times if your really worried about it, sanding lightly between each coat

For the exterior trim I used Dupli-Color Trim Paint specifically for your trim and it looks original. Definitely recommend it. Can find it at Autozone for a few bucks.

Back